Sound Barrier

Hello, I'm remodeling my basement and looking for the best approach on what to use for an insulation/sound barrier to install between the first level floor and the drop ceiling I plan on putting in. Any ideas?
Little. There is not much that you can add that will make much difference. A solid additional barrier, like a drywall ceiling will help a lot. It will help a lot more if it is attached to isolation strips, but the typical suspended ceiling will help at least some. If you are dropping a solid ceiling, then using isolation strips and using two layers of drywall will make a big difference.
Don't forget to block all air to air transfer, like return air ducts.
Check out http://www.soundproofing.org/ for some ideas. Remember they may have their own agenda, but I have found their information good.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
On 3 Aug 2003 13:18:10 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Chris) wrote:

The "most bang for the buck" is "Mass Loaded Vinyl" (MLV). It's "loaded" with silica or barium salts when hot and molten to give it weight. It weighs same as lead sheet, 1 Lb per Sq. Ft. w/o the environmental issues. You can get more info at: http://www.soundproofing.org/infopages/flooring.htm
snipped-for-privacy@soundproofing.org
Super Soundproofing Co, 757 N. TWIN OAKS VALLEY RD, STE #1, SAN MARCOS, CA. 92069 PHONE: 760 752 3030 FAX 752 3040

Not sure about that, but we solved our road noise problem by replacing our cheap "construction grade" windows with top of the line windows. Huge road noise reduction and they needed replacing after 15 years anyway..

Ahhh, I see. My problem was our windows were so cheap, I could hear every car drive by all night long, even with windows shut and air cond on.
TCS,
FWIW, soft surfaces absorb sound, hard surfaces bounce it... Maybe some additional trees/shrubs would be a better solution? An interlocking row of trees should provide good absorption/filtration - and will be a lot easier on the eye...
If you're in the North go with evergreens so that there is cover year round...
Good luck,
Kevin O'

On 18 Aug 2003 15:58:57 GMT, TCS

Los Angeles uses concrete walls to reduce traffic noise from housing. Evergreens will help.

sorry. I don't follow shameless advertiser's links.