SOS - SCREAMING COMPUTER!

That is so unfair! I am way in over my depth and appealing for help; trying to report conditions as accurately as can, along with steps already taken. The last thing I need is an unkind comment like that. How would like it if you were struggling with a potentially disastrous problem, and someone treated you like that!

Reply to
Higgs Boson

If the sound is coming from the speaker it is most likely overheat. You can reboot the computer and the bios will tell you what the overheat alarm is set to. It will also tell you the current temp. You should let the computer run for at least a min or two because it cools down pretty fast too.

You can unplug the fan from the mobo and if that stops the screaming, you can replace the fan.

Reply to
Metspitzer

Waaaa...you can't be *that* helpless!

Reply to
Bob Villa

Higgs Boson wrote in news:e79adad9-b585-4209-9870- snipped-for-privacy@18g2000prd.googlegroups.com:

I think you might need to define "screaming" a bit better to get better- quality help. But I'll take a shot at it anyway...

Most odd computer-noises are the fan bearings going bad. These will NOT show up if you spin the fan by hand, and they are often intermittent for the longest time. You have at least TWO fans: one on the CPU on the motherboard, and one inside the power supply at the back of the case.

My recommendation: Leave the side cover off the case. Next time you hear the noise, get a drinking straw or ballpoint pen and stick it slowly into either fan until the fan stops. No kidding. This will NOT harm the fan, as awful as it might sound when you're doing it. If the odd noise stops, that's the fan that's bad.

Reply to
Tegger

Very similar to what I told him...didn't do much good either.

Reply to
Bob Villa

If your computer guy upgraded the speed by putting in a faster CPU, it may be that he did not use any thermal compound between the heat sink and the chip. If he upgraded the memory, this would not cause overheating, but it could be bad memory. You can set the bios to check the memory on startup. It slows the boot down, but you only need to do it for one boot. Memory and CPU are about the only thing you can do to speed up the computer. Adding a graphics card will also add heat and power consumption.

How long has your computer been screaming? You would notice any problems with the CPU the first day.

Maybe the hard drive.

Reply to
Metspitzer

With the case off, when it squeals stop each fan to see if the noise stops - use a small peice of hose (or a drinking straw) to your ear to locate exactly where the squeel is coming from. Then fix, or report.

Reply to
clare

alt.comp.hardware

Reply to