Sorta-OT HP printer problems

Page 2 of 3
On Tue, 26 May 2015 19:37:16 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@spamblocked.com wrote:

A "print server"
On Tuesday, May 26, 2015 at 5:59:45 PM UTC-5, Terry Coombs wrote:

This is usually caused by a bad paper jam or pulling the jammed paper in the opposite direction. The sensor or arm that is out of alignment...without finding and adjusting...it's a lost cause. I've had good performance from Epson Workforce.
bob_villa wrote:

Thanks , I'll be looking at it some more tomorrow . You're not the first to suggest a sensor prproblem .
--
Snag

On Tue, 26 May 2015 17:48:38 -0700 (PDT), bob_villa

Considering the cost of ink for ink jet printers, I would only own a laser printer. But since I probably print something about 3 times a year, I just take my data to the library or local print shop and let them print it. I have not owned a printer for at least 5 years. Printers seem to screw up from non-use too. I'll just let the library or print shop deal with the paper jams, costly ink, and all the hassles, and psy them $10 or $20 a year for my occasional printing needs.
After all, computers were intended to stop all the paper usage, and I just email most of my stuff, or view it on my own screen. As far as photos, most home printers cant do them justice anyhow, unless you invest a large amount of money in the printer, and ink, and buy costly special paper. At 15 cents (or less) per photo, at the local pharmacy or Walmart, why bother buying all that stuff.
Businesses need printers, but not most home users.
I should also mention that the most durable and reliable printers I ever owned were the old dot matrix ones. Too bad they no longer sell them (new), or sell the ribbons for them.
On Tue, 26 May 2015 21:18:36 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@spamblocked.com wrote:

I still sell a few brand new Dot Matrix printers every year or so. OkiData is still right in there, and so are Lexmark and Epson (both FX and LQ series).
They are still the workhorse on the production floor and in many warehouses.
Can't buy them at Walmart - or likely not even at Best Buy - but Staples carries them - and so do many VARs, and guys like me!!
On Tue, 26 May 2015 23:42:58 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I dont know where you sell, so I am assuming Ebay, but I was not aware they were still sold as NEW.
If I could get one that I know will work with Windows XP, and still had access to ribbons, I'd almost consider buying one if it was not too costly. OkiData and Epson would be considered, but not Lexmark (I have a bad opinion of Lexmark). My best quality once came from a 24 pin Panasonic, which was a very popular model at one time.
The good thing about the dot matrix is that the ribbons dont dry out like ink, from lack of use, and I have had toner go bad in my laser prn from lack of use too. For top quality print, or photos, I'd go to a print shop, but it would be nice to have a printer to just do plain text at home. I wish I still had that Panasonic, and I bet it would still work (IF they still sell ribbons). I remember when I would print out my shopping lists and daily notes, back when I had the dot matrix. These days I just write them with pen and paper, because it just does not seem worth the cost of expensive printer ink.
So, what is a good quailty NEW dot matrix from OkiData or Epson that is a 24 pin, works with XP and has ribbons available? (But not real costly)...
On Tue, 26 May 2015 13:01:39 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@spamblocked.com wrote:

Nope - not on EBAY - I sell to my customers in my local area. One is a local manufacturer who has about 18 Okidata Dot Matrix printers in daily use.
They are also used in a lot of places like auto repair garages to print multi-part work orders and parts invoices - as well as thw printers on alignment machines and emission testing dynos -(which have recently been phased out) - and I have a few customers in those businesses as well.

On Tue, 26 May 2015 21:18:36 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@spamblocked.com wrote:

Laser printers seem to do OK just sitting there. There are no ink cartridges to dry up and get gummy
I don't print a lot but when I do, I want it right then, not after driving up to Kinkos.
On Wed, 27 May 2015 01:28:46 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

My laser printer suddenly began turning the whole page gray after it did nothing but sit unused for over a year, after I had moved my computer (but not the printer), to another house I was staying at. The house with the printer was not lived in, so it was not air conditioned in hot weather. I can assume the temperature got above 100deg F. on real hot days in the house, so I kind of wonder if the toner melted. That was the printer that only worked on Window 98, so I just tossed it after that since I was not going to spend the money for another cartridge for a printer that was not only obsolete, but may have had other problems.
Yea, I would find it much handier to print at home, but not for the price, considering most of the ink would dry up. I guess the inconvenience of driving to the print shop 3 or 4 times a year is worth the savings. However I'd welcome a dot matrix printer again, since they are very trouble free. And for plain text, like letters and such, that is all I need.
Its funny in a way, that I was just thinking recently that I started using computers in the late 1980s, and I got more use out of them during the 90's than I do now. I only had dos and later on Windows 3.x and Windows 9.x, but I did all sorts of home tasks, and even ran a small business at that time. All my printing was done on a dot matrix and cost me about $10 a year for ribbons and a box of paper.
I had software that could print a simple B&W road map to my destination, without having to go online, and lots of simple programs for making posters and signs.
The early internet actually provided the latest news and lots of useful repair info for darn near anything, while experts and professionals were out there willing to help anyone who asked for a mere "thank you".
Not no more. Pages are so bloated with useless crap many never get to the actual news, those damn captchas, sites that provide part of an article and want to be paid for the rest of it, webpages so overloaded with scripts that browsers lockup, videos that require high speed internet ONLY, and a lot of sites that run a person in circles and never go anywhere. And this dont include the hundreds of links to Facebook, which is the most worthless thing to ever happen to the internet. These days the internet and computers are just toys to most people and the net is just a place to post photos of themselves when they are drunk, while telling everyone what time they ate breakfast and took a shit that day.
Usenet is about the only worthwhile thing left on the internet, and it too is quickly dying. I soon forsee the newsgroups dead, at which time I am going to pull the plug on the internet. I can email from my cellphone, which is about the only useful thing left. As far as computers, I have begun to resurrect my 1990's systems with all the useful software that I still have on floppies.

We have had the same problem with officejet pro 8000 printers - and it is also an issue on the 8500 MFC.
You need to replace the printer.
Not a bad enough problem in my opinion to make me go to a different brand - I've had worse problems with Lexmarks, Canons, Epsons, Xerox, and many others.
I've got quite a few 8000s with close to a quarter millin copies on them, and a whole lot with over 100,000.
I wouldn't, on the other hand, touch a cheap "consumer" printer of any brand with a ten foot pole any more.
On 5/26/2015 6:59 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:

Had a similar problem at work. Spent a lot of time and got nowhere. Called a printer service and the guy came out. Replaced a broken part and 20 minutes and $150 later it was running perfectly.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

The printer didn't cost that much new ...
--
Snag

Maybe the part was the printer. That is the way many low end printers are repaired.
On 5/26/2015 11:12 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:

Printers are disposable for the most part these days, unless you are needing a large format, high speed etc. laser or plotters.
--
Froz...

I used to repair VCR's and quite often the rubber pinch rollers would become dirty and shiny and cause the tape to slip. Same thing can happen with the paper rollers in a printer, provided the roller isn't worn or damaged PlatenClene did a good job of restoring the grip on them. (Amazon.com product link shortened)32705344&sr=8-1&keywords=rubber+roller+cleaner
Kenny
"Terry Coombs" wrote in message
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

The printer didn't cost that much new ...
--
Snag

In that case, maybe it is cheaper to replace. The one we had fixed was $800 new.

Have you read the following?
http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId 3360597
Then, there is an HP forum where you can ask this question (after doing all on the above page):
http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printing-Issues-Troubleshooting/Deskjet-3510-all-in-one-won-t-feed-paper-correctly/td-p/2630951
Don Wiss wrote:

I have gone as far as disassembling the printer as far as possible , cleaning everything in sight including all the gears , it still pops a paper jam message . I can't figure this one out , it's apparently a firmware problem . I guess it's possible there's a plastic part either broken or deformed ... I've given up , I'll be selling the new cartridges on ebay or something . I have another HP printer (4480 all-in-one IIRC) still at my house in Memphis , wishing now that I'd grabbed it along with the Samsung laser unit last time I was there . Apparently the "phantom paper jam" is a common problem with this series of HP printers , seen a lot of questions abot hte problem on the web . I may attempt to use just the scanner function , I did see an article describing how to do that .
My thanks to the many people that have posted suggestions , seems the best one was to toss it out . Anybody need some #61 cartridges ? I have 3 sets with photo paper in the package , all 3 for 60 bucks and I pay shipping . One package has been opened , but the cartridges are still sealed .
--
Snag

Oren wrote:

This printer has been running as a wireless , the first time it ever had a cable attached was for diagnostics out in my shop . The cable was brand new . I've just given up , I have another printer that will fill in until I can bring the one home next trip to Memphis .
--
Snag

If this think pops the jam message before it ever feeds, it has to be a sensor (no paper in the magazine). You should get a different indication if it is just out of paper.