Sorta-OT HP printer problems

Page 1 of 3
My HP 3510 printer is giving me fits , keeps throwing a paper jam error even with no paper in it . I've had it almost completely disassembled , after a thorough cleaning it printed exactly one test page then went back to the paper jam thing . Anybody with experience diagnosing this ? I suspect there's a sensor in there or something , but I saw nothing while it was apart . Everything seems to be functioning correctly by direct observation . The other thiung it does is that when you clear the "jam" by pushing the proper key on the control panel , if will just keep feeding paper until it runs out . BTW , I ran the tests with a fresh install of the software on a comp that's never ran this printer before , so not likely it's a software problem . I've had pretty good luck with HP printers until this one , but I'm about to go with another brand after this . What really sucks is we just bought 2 pairs of cartridges for it , they were on a really good sale .
--
Snag

I know I am probably insulting your intelligence, but since the obvious is overlooked, have you turned the printer off and then back on again? Had a similar thing with a Brother and that took care of it/
but what they conceal is vital.?
Kurt Ullman wrote:

No offemnse taken , and yes I've done that - multiple times . I've been dealing with this for several days . I've tried everything I could think of before actually disassembling and cleaning it today .
--
Snag

I don't have a solution, but I know of two things that can cause jamming: Cheap, thin paper and not having the siding clamp firmly up against the paper edge to hold it in place.
Mayayana wrote:

I'm using 20wt G-P paper , the sliding guide only goes to 8.5" . I also tried some card stock thinking it might be the paper . If it were the paper , it wouldn't throw a jam error with no paper at all in the printer ... this paper feeds fine in my Samsung ML-2010 laser printer . I'm thinking the newer Hp printers are junk ... it really irritates that I just bought 3 sets of cartridges that are now for all intents and purposes useless to me . (I mis-typed in my original post , we got 3sets not 2.)
--
Snag

a good used one - and hope it outlasts the ink!!!
I had the same thing happen with my last Canon - only I had installed a constant Ink Supply System at a cost of a couple hundred dollars- and then bought another $200 of ink when the initial fill was almost done. 2 days after buying the ink - It died. Before I even added any.

I had an old Epson color inkjet that ran fine on 20# GP paper and I have a Brother B&W laser that does also. My HP inkjet double feeds with it so I use 24# for inkjets with no issue.
On Sun, 31 May 2015 11:16:28 -0400, Dana F Bonnett

some 24 and some heavier on some of the printers.
On Tue, 26 May 2015 19:33:06 -0400, "Mayayana"

there is a solution. HP has no solution. I know a lot of techs who also have no solution other than "bin it"
| The problem isn't paper jams. It is PHANTOM paper jams.
Maybe. But it's worth checking all the possibilities. Most printers have alignment maintenance options. 20# paper is too light for some printers. If it were me I'd also try to check the rollers to see if something might be on one of them -- increasing or reducing the tension.
I'm surprised that no company has come in to take over the printer industry. The ink is overpriced. The quality is poor, despite years of technology development. The cost of good printing is prohibitive. The machines are junky. Every printer I've had makes inexplicable noises at random times when it shouldn't be doing anything.
My current printer is an Epson. Not great. OK. But it holds me hostage whenever an ink cartridge gets low, and "low" seems to be a time- activated thing. I barely use it, yet it regularly "runs out" of ink. Worse, it won't let me do anything until I replace the cartridge. My old HP would let me keep printing poor quality with low black ink, and it would let me print grayscale if a color cartridge was gone. With the Epson, if yellow ink runs out and I want to print black I'm out of luck!

+1 Printers are disposable items.
Ever try to get HP tech support on the phone? Ain't going to happen. thanks Carly, even with major h/w.
--
Tekkie *Please post a follow-up*

Sounds like a bad paper sensor. It would be a trivial problem if the printer told which sensor was not reporting correctly. Be sure one is not blocked by a little chip of paper.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

I'll be looking at it some more tomorrow , my frustration level today was dangerously close to using a hammer on it . I looked for a sensor and didn't see one , but I might have missed it . Lotta small parts in there !
--
Snag

The sensor is usually a photo eye, coupled to a LED emitter. Sometimes the light reflects off the paper and sometimes the paper blocks the light. The latter style is more likely.
Have you googled the model number to see if there is some specific help. HP usually has pretty good info on their web site about their products. There may be a maintenance manual.,
On Tue, 26 May 2015 21:56:52 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

says is "send for service" and when you do that, they send you a different printer. (same model if available, upgrade if obsolete)

At the price of the low end printers and the cost of labor, they can often send a new printer cheaper than they can repair the old one.

is rotation sensors (rotary encoders) on shafts. If roller number 1 turns 90 degrees and sensor #2 only turs 87 degrees, it reports a paper jam (numbers just pulled out of the air - to illustrate the concept.)

Is that a laser printer or ink jet?
Are you using the same operating system as before?
I had a laser printer years ago that worked alright with Windows 98. When I upgraded to Windows 2000, it would not work and drivers could not be gotten. Of course that meant it id not work on Windows XP either.
But even when it did work with Win 98, it always pushed 2 or as many as 10 sheets of paper thru at once. So, I would only feed it one sheet a time and have to insert another page if the document was bigger. I just lived with it, and for awhile I used a dedicated computer with Win 98 just for printing, regardless what computer or OS I used to create the document.
It finally died completely and got tossed.
snipped-for-privacy@spamblocked.com wrote:

It's a color inkjet

The only OS in use here is XP Pro except the box hooked to the TV , it's XP home .

This printer was working reasonably well until recently - it had occasional failures to feed paper . The only change in the home intranet is a new wireless router , the problems started before it was installed .
--
Snag