Sorta OT

I was on a project yesterday. A brand new townhome 4 story unit. In the room next to me was a guy fastening some sort of metal grids to the wall. These were used as a fastener rail/template for Z-brick. Looked like he was using fairly long roofing nails.
This was on the fourth floor.
The owner was just as proud as could be with her new home. Running around taking pictures while workmen were putting finishing touches on the unit. She's planning to move in this week.
I was outside when it happened. The guy doing the brick hit a fire sprinkler pipe. The fire alarm went off water spewing everywhere.
I thought nothing about the alarm seeing them go off all the time. The fire trucks arrived, & by the time they got the water shut off, maybe 15 minutes had elapsed.
I walked in to see water pouring out of the ceiling fixtures on the first level. 2nd floor about an inch of water. 3rd floor two inches of water, swirling around finding heat registers, anywhere to flow down. Fourth floor, they had hacked a hole in the wall & there was the exposed pipe. the guy asked the fireman "why is it still coming, I thought it was shut off"? Fireman replied "its off but still water in the pipe it will quit when it reaches this level."
I ddn't get a good look at what pipe was used- (I grabbed my tools & left) Sadly this apparently passed code. It could have been just as easily been a homeowner hanging a heavy picture.
Almost totally destroyed this place I don't know whether I felt sorrier for the brick guy or the homeowner. I sure hope he had his insurance paid up.
For you homeowners out there- this kind of damage is usually optional coverage, Consider it!
And if you are a small contractor out the without insurance GET IT!

Not really off topic, but just a caution that it CAN happen to you. Pipes, wires, ducts, central vac, lots of thing hiding in the walls.

30 years in construction & related trades. Never seen anything like it.
It was devastating..
While I was on travel our son thought he'd do me a favor and hang the cabinet above the water softener in the garage. One of the nails he used nicked the copper pipe causing a slow dripping leak inside the wall. About bedtime he and my wife strained to hear the drips and called one of the guys I worked with. Came over and opened the wall and soldered a copper patch stopping the leak and it's still there. I replaced that cabinet with a better unit later. Sure can happen!

The big difference here is with a fire sprinkler pipe no one could simply run down in the basement & shut the water off. By the time the fire dept. got it shut off the place was destroyed.