soot, ducts closed?

I have oil heat, and last year the furnace put out some soot, that got on the tv screens and the wall near the air outputs.

This was true on the second floor, but I have all the ducts closed on the first floor. I've heard that it's bad to run with too many ducts closed. Do you think that could have caused my soot problem?

Thanks

Reply to
Riley

Since you heard its bad to run with ducts closed why are you doing it, not enough airflow can overheat and crack the exchanger, and you havnt thought of calling a pro with all this crap comming out your ducts? Do you have a Co meter, do you smell any oil. I say call a pro before you mess things up more or kill yourself from possible Co poisoning.

Reply to
ransley

One person said it, but people say all sorts of silly things. I was looking for confirmation or contradiction of what he said.

And, now things are piled on the vents, so it will be a lot of work to move them.

I have a Co alarm, and it went off once a couple years ago, but the furnace was serviced right after that. Since then, it's quiet. The service guy said the exchanger was all right.

Yes, sometimes, just for a few seconds when the furnace starts. But there must be more than it seems or the wall by the ducts woudln't be so dirty, I think.

No money. Above you said not enough airflow can overheat and crack the exchanger. But you didnt' say it would cause soot. (The exchanger wasn't cracked at the end of last winter - at least it past the cloves in the fire test.)

I thought the firebox was separate from the recirculating air, so that even if the combustion was incomplete and their was unburned oil in the exhaust gas, the gas would go up the chimney, not into the heating ducts.

Reply to
Riley