Sony Plasma takes 100 goes to turn on

Page 1 of 2
It eventually turns on - but you have to press the remote 100 times and it tries to turn on but doesnt.
On Thu 25 Dec 2008 12:47:01p, Johno222 told us...

Was there a point to this statement?
Oh, yes, a reminder not to buy one.
--
Wayne Boatwright
On Thu, 25 Dec 2008 19:45:26 GMT, Wayne Boatwright

And 26 days until we have a new president.
On Thu 25 Dec 2008 04:17:26p, Gary H told us...

And that *will* make it a New Year. Thank God!
--
Wayne Boatwright
On Thu, 25 Dec 2008 23:23:43 GMT, Wayne Boatwright

I'm reminded of a bumper sticker that said "thank God I'm an atheist". You might not understand it, but at least you got your brain engaged and that's the point.
On Sat 27 Dec 2008 12:32:32p, Gary H told us...

I don't usually remember bumper stickers, but one I'll never forget said, "Read the Bible, it'll scare the hell out of you."
--
Wayne Boatwright

Wasn't it Blood, Sweat & Tears that had the lyrics, "I swear thaere ain't no Heaven but I pray there ain't no hell." :-)

Heaven and Hell appear to be interconnected. That is, the existence of one depends on the existence on the other.

They're both fictional places from the same mythology. You might as well argue about wether or not mordor and Gondor depend on each other.

Toss it in the trash. Any other remedy is beyond your technical skills. You don't seem to even have the skills required to call a repairman, contact sony, post to an appropriate newsgroup or even post your TV's model number.
Johno222 wrote:

Do you have a set of fresh batteries in the remote? Then wiped clean the sensor lens at the TV end? Then have to figure out whether sensor is weak or remote os bad. There are many cheap universal code learning remote in the market which will replace OEM remote. I use Harmony remote to control all components on my home theater set up. Hrmony controls everything with one touch of a button. Works very well.

I doubt he has even located the button labeled "POWER" on the tv or thought of trying to turn the tv on without using the remote at all.

Yes there is a power button on the tv, all he has to do is push it once.

This is highly technical stuff! He might even need to locate a flashlight only to discover that it requires batteries as well.
On Fri, 26 Dec 2008 06:47:01 +1100, "Johno222"

That reminds me of my RCA TV. It turns on, but 75% or so of the time turns itself back off in a second.

Mark Lloyd

Maybe the remote is a lot smarter than you think. It knows that 75% of the time there's really none of the 200 stations worth watching.

I just got an RCA 12 or 15 inch at a yard sale last summer, for a dollar, and it takes 10 seconds to 2.5 hours to turn on.
The remote works fine for other things, but because of the delay, I'm not sure if it works at all for the on function.
The button on the set does this.
And unswitching and switching the power cord seemed to work pretty well, but tonight took at least a half hour. Then I unswitched it again so it won't go on while I'm sleeping.
On Thu 25 Dec 2008 08:30:52p, mm told us...

I'd be guessing that's why you got it for a dollar at a yard sale. <groan>
--
Wayne Boatwright
On Fri, 26 Dec 2008 03:40:40 GMT, Wayne Boatwright

I know that. :) But the bathroom tv had broken and I needed another small one.
On Fri, 26 Dec 2008 06:47:01 +1100, Johno222 wrote:

This one is for the "For What It Is Worth" files....
Turn off all lights in room and near by. Try remote again.
One of the table lamps in TV room has a three way fluorescent energy saving light bulb. When that specific three way bulb is on, the remote control for the cable TV box is useless. Doesn't matter which table lamp the bulb is installed in, the remote (and the cable TV box) don't like the interference.
Doubt this is OP's problem.