Somewhat OT: Of the 1%, by the 1%, for the 1% - 30 years of greed

Page 2 of 2

OMG! He pays the Maximum! OTOH, I'm sure he's *collecting* SS and MC.

Yes, Buffet opened his mouth and made a totally ignorant statement when you consider that Buffet has used very loophole he could find to avoid paying taxes and is currently in a battle with the IRS over millions that he owes. Talk about the ultimate hypocrite.
BobR wrote:

What?! Any loophole he used was put there by the government to foster some social goal (i.e., charitable contributions). That Buffett directed so much of his wealth toward these social goals, he should be PRAISED for doing what the Congress, in its wisdom, decided.
And, no, he's not the ultimate hypocrite. Male gynecologists have that title sewed up. (I mean the TITLE is "sewed up," not the, ah, well, you know.)

Buffet is running a PR campaign to distract people from noticing what he's up to. He plans to use the Burlington Railroad he owns to bring filthy black coal to West Coast ports that would be "reconfigured" (polite terms) to accept these never-ending train loads for export to China,etc. Wreck more of the mining area environment and totally brutalize the West Coast areas targeted for his new port.
http://articles.latimes.com/2011/mar/05/opinion/la-oe-mckibben-coal-20110305
HB
Higgs Boson wrote:

Sounds like a good idea to me: Provide jobs, improve our balance of payments, and so on. Heck, because of cheap coal, California may even start to build coal-fired power plants and reduce the cost of energy for everyone in the state.
It's a win all around.

I bet you also bitch about our trade deficit with China with equal relish. Sounds to me like exporting coal to them is a good idea. I guess you're like the nuts trying to block the pipeline from the tar sands of Canada too, because that fuel is unacceptable to you. You ever stop and think that if the USA doesn't sell the coal to China, plenty of other countries will. Have you no compassion for those here that want to work?
On Oct 29, 4:59am, "Stormin Mormon"

***Stormin', you keep on repeating that same hoary Right-wing myth about the rich paying "much higher percentage of their income as taxes." WHICH taxes? You're not slipping that one past any NG member who isn't fast asleep. The real pain for the poor, near-poor and middle class (what's left of it) is in the PAYROLL tax -- SS--that is taken out of their checks.
Since the rich get most of their income from investments and trusts, they don't pay payroll taxes. And they are taxed very leniantly on their sources of income. ... Even the mighty Lord High Executioners of corporations and too-big-to-fail banks manage to avoid most taxes on their obscene salaries and bonuses. Helps to have good friends in Congress.
Hic jacet lapin.
HB
On Oct 29, 3:47pm, "Stormin Mormon"

No, it's never been about fairness, it is and has always been about trying to transfer the attention for governments failures to someone else.

The whole income disparity movement is just a ploy to get people to blame someone else, preferrably someone with money, for all their problems instead of blaming the government and the current idiot in charge.

Can't totally agree with your last statement, it would probably take at least one generation for it to fully return but would agree that within a year maybe two their would be a huge number crying that they are below the poverty line and wanting handouts.

The whole system is so skewed towards the wealthy that I only see income tax as a way to get any sort of balance.
That doesn't undo the gross stealing of wealth that went on during the past few decades. Maybe some sort of wealth tax to deal with that.
Of course, then the very wealthy just skip town, err, country. They have no loyalty to America, they've spent the last decade doing everything they could to loot it.

Who exactly did this looting? Bill Gates? Steve Jobs? Mark Zuckerberg? Larry Page? Andy Grove? Investors in those companies that made a lot of money?
Everybody wants to know, who's the bad guy? Or are you just mad because you didn'h have the guts and smarts to make lots of money yourself?
harry wrote:

Er, that begs the question of whether anything SHOULD be done about it. My view is that attempting to do something about the distribution of wealth is meddling with the primeval forces of nature and could lead to unimaginable problems (fish in the ocean becoming cannibals, winds blowing up and down instead of to and fro, etc.).