Somewhat OT - Ceramic Knives

I would guess it would be seen with x-ray but not show up on a metal detector.

Reply to
Tony Miklos

That's correct.

Reply to
Frank

I'm not sure which of of the 2 links I posted you are considering to be a "paring" knife, but neither of them look like any paring knife I've used.

As far as I know, the Yohsi knife only comes in the model shown, and is more akin to a chef's knife than a paring knife. The Yoshi knife I used at my Mom's was certainly not a pairing knife. BTW...I do know the difference. ;-)

See here for a picture:

And here for the complete review:

The Kyocera I linked to is their FK-160 WH 6.5" Chef=92s Knife as shown here, 7th knife down in the left hand column:

Check the properties of the image and you'll see that they match the link I posted.

The paring knifes are the top ones in each column and obvious by their form factors.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

The two links you've posted for the Yoshi, side by side:

The second looks like a different knife than your first Yoshi link, doesn't it?

RicodJour

"DerbyDad03" wrote

Chipping, being impossible to sharpen without sending back to factory. ($$$)

I am only stating my opinion, and I'm not interested in arriving at a consensus, or a one size fits all state. I personally wouldn't spend that much money on any knife for the better brand names. And I certainly would not buy a knife that had to be professionally sharpened.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Impossible?

If you have a diamond stone you can do it yourself.

RicodJour

I see what you are saying. It appears that they have changed the Yoshi knife since that review pic was posted because I still believe that there is only one Yoshiblade available. I could be wrong.

Maybe they read the reviews and redesigned the handle. I know that the one my mom has is a knuckle buster.

In any case, I plan to get 1 or 2 of different sizes, but I'm going Kyocera, not Yoshi

Reply to
DerbyDad03

jeff_wisnia wrote in news:ihn5g6$cmo$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

probably won't show up on a magnetometer,but yes to the X-ray machines.

Planning on arming yourself while flying? ;-) not a good idea to try.it might get you kicked off the flight,or worse.

BTW,having such items in your checked baggage,they may not be there when you arrive,having been stolen by TSA workers.That is a frequent occurrence,stolen items from checked baggage.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Frank wrote in news:ihn5kv$g3o$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

maybe silicon carbide (WetOrDry) sandpaper,but not your ordinary sandpaper. Of course,you won't get such fine grits without it being SiC. you can buy diamond sharpening blocks or plates,too. I suspect they'd last longer,but cost more.

is flint a "ceramic"? no.

well,softer alloys erode or deform easier. (OTOH,too-hard means they chip easier...)

Reply to
Jim Yanik

"Jim Yanik" wrote

The average human cannot sharpen a knife.

And, cave men who were in the know used obsidian knives, which are many many many many times sharper than the knives we use today.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

These are also good. I have one of the prototypes that Bob made in the early 80's, and have turned down $3k for it. Lots of fun, too.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

As long as you know that's it's purely a "tool thing." Not much to do with actual cutting or cooking. Not picking on ceramic knives. My wife cuts and cooks all day for a living. She never used a ceramic, and is all steel. At her work a sharpener comes in every 2 weeks. In between she touches up with a steel.

At home she likes the Wolfgang Puck 4-knife set I bought her for 30 bucks from Home Shopping Network a couple years ago. They came with a nice counter stand. She has touched up the most used a few times with a steel and said that works real good, Before that she used mostly dollar store knives. Most take steel honing well for a while. Some for years, others not so much. Still have some around. Some she tossed after a couple years.

I picked up a couple dollar chef knives about 8 years ago for my tackle box. Just to cut bait, mostly frozen squid. Still on the first one, though it's spotted with salt rusting, and the second one is unopened in the blister pack. I have a good 6" stone in my box too, but only use it for my fillet knives.

I've often wanted a good diamond wheel electric knife sharpener because I like tools, even though I hardly use a knife. Figured I could sharpen the kitchen knives for my wife. She said don't bother, she's fine with her honing steel. Buy me a topaz ring instead.

Anyway, I've concluded that knives are not really a "tool thing" for her. I kind of want to buy her some ceramic knives to test that theory, but I know she appreciates jewelry more than tools.

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith

Sorry, forgot to paste.......................

Steve B

I always wanted to try an atlatl. Very cool item.

RicodJour