Somewhat OT - Ceramic Knives

Page 2 of 2
On 1/24/2011 8:03 PM, SBH wrote:

You can probably google better reviews than this:
http://reviews.cookingcache.com/ceramic-knives-review.html
but, as I suspected, they are more brittle and tend to break or chip and they will dull eventually and you will not be able to sharpen them yourself.
Frank wrote:

Yes, they do chip when impacted, but properly treated a ceramic knife is sharper than a steel knife and will retain its edge for years, while steel knives need sharpening every month or two.
If you have steady hands and the right tools (basically sandpaper up to 2000 grit), you can sharpen a dull and chipped ceramic knife.
On 1/25/2011 1:28 PM, Notat Home wrote:

Yes, even cave men had sharp ceramic knives - they were made out of flint.
I touch my kitchen knives up with a steel when they need it and have an electric diamond wheel kitchen sharpener. My hunting knives, which you could shave with, are touched up with a ceramic rod sharpener.
The knives that appear easiest to sharpen are those that seem to dull fastest.

maybe silicon carbide (WetOrDry) sandpaper,but not your ordinary sandpaper. Of course,you won't get such fine grits without it being SiC. you can buy diamond sharpening blocks or plates,too. I suspect they'd last longer,but cost more.

is flint a "ceramic"? no. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flint

well,softer alloys erode or deform easier. (OTOH,too-hard means they chip easier...)
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

The average human cannot sharpen a knife.
And, cave men who were in the know used obsidian knives, which are many many many many times sharper than the knives we use today.
Steve

These are also good. I have one of the prototypes that Bob made in the early 80's, and have turned down $3k for it. Lots of fun, too.
Steve

Sorry, forgot to paste....................... http://www.atlatl.com/

I always wanted to try an atlatl. Very cool item.
SBH wrote:

Serious question..... I've often wondered...
Do those ceramic knives show up in your carry on baggage when it's X-rayed by airport security?
Or when passing through a magnetometer?
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
jeff_wisnia wrote:

the blades no. the rivets or hafts maybe depending upon what they're made of.

Everything shows up on an X-ray, and they use broad spectrum and color- coding technology to differentiate between materials.

Nope. This is one of the major fallacies of the scanners. It's a dog and pony show to create the illusion that people are safer. The funny thing is that people weren't at more risk in the first place.
If you jump at every shadow, eventually, if you wait long enough, there will be something in the shadows so you'll have proven all the jumping to be worthwhile.
On 1/25/2011 1:40 PM, jeff_wisnia wrote:

I would guess it would be seen with x-ray but not show up on a metal detector.
On 1/25/2011 2:02 PM, Tony Miklos wrote:

That's correct.

probably won't show up on a magnetometer,but yes to the X-ray machines.
Planning on arming yourself while flying? ;-) not a good idea to try.it might get you kicked off the flight,or worse.
BTW,having such items in your checked baggage,they may not be there when you arrive,having been stolen by TSA workers.That is a frequent occurrence,stolen items from checked baggage.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik