Sometimes the strangest tools...

I'm renovating (read: mostly gutting) a bathroom - just about everything is being moved around. One of the things that can be quite difficult with this is rearranging the electrical. Wires coming into the area, don't have enough length to get to where they're being relocated, and you don't want to bury junctions inside the wall nor have random J-boxes sticking out of the wall. Yet, avoiding having the renovation extend into ripping walls in other areas is of primary importance.

Had this one spot deep inside a wall cavity where I managed to move a wire end _almost_ to where the new fixture was going. I just needed a few more inches, but this cable staple was preventing it. Too far to reach.

Spent quite a bit of time trying to figure out how to snag the staple without damaging the wire. Nail on end of 2x4 - it'll bend. Pipe with a hook? Can't fasten the hook well. Steel rod? One thick enough to not bend would need machining.

Something thin, but almost arrow shaped on a long rigid bar - a bit of a crook in it would provide more leverage, something that could go beside the cable so the cable sheath wouldn't be damaged.

Stopped work for the day, and hours later just before going to bed it _finally_ came to me what the perfect tool was.

Went downstairs to get the tool, and _snick_, the staple was out. Of course, my son was in hysterics for the next half hour, seeing his dad jump up the ladder carrying a sword.

[Cheap "decorative only" steel sabre I bought about 30 years ago for my parents to hang on their mantle, they didn't use, and gave back...]
Reply to
Chris Lewis

That's brilliant!

Reply to