Sometimes it just doesn't pay to listen

I have a shop at my house, built from a single car garage. I took old cabinets from one of the houses I rehab'd and made a workbench out of them, hung the walls above the bench and I thought I would go to town. Then the shelves (swmbo)suggestion came, along with so much crap from down the cellar to fill the shelves, and my shop gradually become one corner of the garage. The rest was coolers, and a/c's and chairs for the beach........etc, etc. Okay a couple square feet had my boat stuff and fishing tackle.................SO! Being the kind hearted thoughtful person she is, SWMBO suggested that since my shop is so small I should make a bench along the other side of the garage to hold my new (old) DP and Lathe. I started building yesterday. "Of course since you're building a bench, why don't you continue all the way to the ceiling and ad some shelves." That's when I should have run screaming, but no, I had to listen. And I desperately wanted the new bench for my POWERTOOLS So at my age I climbing ladders to take measurements, draw up plans, find studs.........and on and on and on. I start framing up a bench to hold my stuff, and shelves to hold whatever else she finds, or to launch the next Titanic The saga continues, as soon as I stop hurting. Man when did I get so old?

Dave

Reply to
David Babcock

There is an old Little Feat song that is becoming more and more true every day for me. It is called "Old folks boogie", and has a line that goes:

You know that you're over the hill, when your mind makes you promises your body can't fill....

Somedays I get winded playing chess.

-- Robert Allison Georgetown, TX

Reply to
Robert Allison

Can't help with the aging. But you and companion might try to find a copy of "Not for Packrats Only" by Don Aslett. It's a good look at the Stuff we keep, why we keep it, how much it costs to keep, and ways to trim it down. Items that hit home for me were unfinshed projects, saved magazines, and Free Stuff. Oddly, two frequent justifications for collecting are "but it was free!" and "but I paid good money for that."

Best wishes for your workshop.

Reply to
Frogleg

Precisely the same experience upgrading the railings on my deck. With my daughter starting to walk, I decided to upgrade the railings on the deck to

4" spaced vertical instead of the single horizontal 1x6es that were there. A simple suggestion of "You know honey, I've always thought it would help to build a little platform over there to put the grill on..." turned into:

Expanding the existing 8' x 12' deck to 12' x 12' Adding a 3' wide set of stairs down the yard-ward side Adding a 10' x 15' "lower level" just for entertaining

I like the new deck, don't get me wrong. It's one of my proudest additions to the house. But gods! did the project snowball.

- Wm

Reply to
William Morris

aboutr 15 yrs. ago i built a garage/shed in the back yard... plaing on retiring soon and figured i was gonna have many peaceful days "PLAYING" in there... well now that i am retired we have the garage full of decoratons, christmas(eventhough we have decort. up there must be enough to do about 5 more houses on the block.. easter, halloween dec. mardi gras dec., thanksgiving, and some holidays that i dont even know about... and the kids toys from over the years, and and furniture that we inherited... i cant even turn around it there no.... before all this storage i could pull a car or truck or motorcyle in there and work on it.. not i cant even get in there to get to my tool boxes... at least i dont have to worry about someone getting the roll away tool boxes.. they could not move it it they wanted to.... I know i cant....

Reply to
jim