Someone correct me if I’m wrong

Someone correct me if I?m wrong but I thought you couldn?t have a real estate license if you had a criminal record.

Reply to
Molly Brown

You mean there are some that *don't* have a record?? :)

Reply to
dadiOH

As the former owner of a real estate brokerage firm in Iowa I can't speak for other states but outlined below is a checklist of things you will need to do in order to get your Iowa Real Estate license. Note that it does not speak of a criminal record disqualifying a person.

- A salesperson must be assigned to (work for) a licensed broker or firm and cannot conduct business independently.

- Be a person 18 years of age or over. (You may actually sit for the exam before you are 18, but you MUST be 18 before you make the application for a license, which must be within six months after you pass the exam.) An applicant is not ineligible because of citizenship, sex, race, religion, marital status, or national origin, although the application form may require citizenship information.

- Be a person whose application has not been rejected for licensure in this or any other state within twelve months prior to the date of application, and whose real estate license has not been revoked in this or any other state within two years prior to the date of application.

Don

Reply to
IGot2P

Sorry but I left out the background check which speaks to the following and you should note that it says "may be denied", not "will be denied".

"An applicant for a real estate salesperson license who has been convicted of forgery, embezzlement, obtaining money under false pretenses, theft, extortion, conspiracy to defraud, or another similar offense, or of any crime involving moral turpitude, in a court of competent jurisdiction in this state or in any other state, jurisdiction, territory, or district of the United States, or in any foreign jurisdiction, may be denied a license by the commission on the grounds of the conviction."

Don

Reply to
IGot2P

You're wrong.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

Yup, as usual, you're wrong.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

That would mean half of all Americans couldn't be real estate agents...

Reply to
Home Guy

I'll bet it depends on the jurisdiction and/or the offense. For example, exposing oneself to a blind person (Mopery) may not be disqualifying inasmuch as it does not involve fiduciary liability. In other jurisdictions, having a criminal record may be a requirement for a state license.

Reply to
HeyBub

Unless of course, it is felonious mopery.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

I guess anything is possible. It is possible to be president of the US and not be a citizen.

Go figger.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

that's certainly what mitt hopes

Reply to
Malcom "Mal" Reynolds

I think they need to become car salesmen?

Reply to
Bill