Some say tomato

Speaking of Stihl, I wonder how y'all pronounce it? I was thinking "stile" or "steel," but when I went to buy one of their products, the guys at the dealer said it was "still." But yesterday I watched an online video produced by the company and the fellow was saying "steel."

Reply to
Smitty Two

I googled "how do you pronounce Stihl" and found a few thoughts:

"1. The company named "Stihl" says "Steel".

  1. The name "Stihl" isn't a conventional German word.
  2. If the name was German, it would be spelt "Steihl".
  3. If you were German, you'd pronouce it "schteel".
  4. Again, if you were German, you wouldn't pronouce anything as "still".

So, in the end nothing is correct. I say "steel" because that's the most logical. The fact that company says that is a plus, too. The dealer seems to use "steel". The use of "still" is mass North American confusion."

And another variation:

"another common one i have heard is "stall" i guess that came from the familys expierence wiht stihls"

Which was answered by:

"There's perfect logic behind that. German for steel, the metal, is "stahl". Pronounced "schtall" if you you want to get fancy. "

I refer to mine as a "steel".

Paul

Reply to
Pavel314

I say Steel. As in, hey, don't steal that steel. Or if a Stihl has a good price I'd say that Steel is a Steal.

Reply to
hibb
Reply to
Don Phillipson

You are a stickler for detail, it seems.

Did you ever iron out those details on conventional vs. climb cutting, that you claimed couldn't exist with a circular saw blade?

Reply to
Existential Angst

Of course, if you're in Pittsburgh, Steel is pronounced "Still" (and they root for the Stillers). And to my wife (from Pittsburgh) "pull", "pool", and "pole" are all pronounced the same.

Josh

Reply to
Josh

But it is mostly "eisen".

Reply to
willshak

"Don Phillipson" wrote in news:hr4k0g$eg9$1 @theodyn.ncf.ca:

I think you may have the wrong word. "Still" in German means more like "quiet", or "calm". "Stillstanden" would mean "standing quietly", or standing calmly".

The German word for "Stop!", as in a command to cease all motion, would be..."Stop". German stop signs meant for drivers of motor vehicles say "Stop" on them.

Reply to
Tegger

"Don Phillipson" wrote in news:hr4k0g$eg9$ snipped-for-privacy@theodyn.ncf.ca:

The Swiss aren't German.