Some say tomato

Speaking of Stihl, I wonder how y'all pronounce it? I was thinking "stile" or "steel," but when I went to buy one of their products, the guys at the dealer said it was "still." But yesterday I watched an online video produced by the company and the fellow was saying "steel."

I googled "how do you pronounce Stihl" and found a few thoughts:
"1. The company named "Stihl" says "Steel".
2. The name "Stihl" isn't a conventional German word.
3. If the name was German, it would be spelt "Steihl".
4. If you were German, you'd pronouce it "schteel".
5. Again, if you were German, you wouldn't pronouce anything as "still".
So, in the end nothing is correct. I say "steel" because that's the most logical. The fact that company says that is a plus, too. The dealer seems to use "steel". The use of "still" is mass North American confusion."
And another variation:
"another common one i have heard is "stall" i guess that came from the familys expierence wiht stihls"
Which was answered by:
"There's perfect logic behind that. German for steel, the metal, is "stahl". Pronounced "schtall" if you you want to get fancy. "
I refer to mine as a "steel".
Paul

I say Steel. As in, hey, don't steal that steel. Or if a Stihl has a good price I'd say that Steel is a Steal.

Of course, if you're in Pittsburgh, Steel is pronounced "Still" (and they root for the Stillers). And to my wife (from Pittsburgh) "pull", "pool", and "pole" are all pronounced the same.
Josh
<<I googled "how do you pronounce Stihl" and found a few thoughts:
"1. The company named "Stihl" says "Steel".
2. The name "Stihl" isn't a conventional German word.
3. If the name was German, it would be spelt "Steihl".
4. If you were German, you'd pronouce it "schteel".
5. Again, if you were German, you wouldn't pronouce anything as "still".
So, in the end nothing is correct. >>
Corrections: 1. The German word for steel is Stahl (pronounced as it looks.) 2. Stihl is indeed not a "conventional German word:" it is a German family name (thus non-conventional, i.e. not obliged to follow all the conventions of how German is spoken.) 3. German pronounces IE as ee and pronounces EI as eye. Thus German Stiehl would be pronounced shteel. 4. Correct: German pronunciation of Stihl is also "shteel." 5. German as an adjective STILL pronounced shtill: German for "Stop!" is "Stillstanden" pron. shtillshtanden.
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

I think you may have the wrong word. "Still" in German means more like "quiet", or "calm". "Stillstanden" would mean "standing quietly", or standing calmly".
The German word for "Stop!", as in a command to cease all motion, would be..."Stop". German stop signs meant for drivers of motor vehicles say "Stop" on them.
--
Tegger

The Swiss aren't German.

You are a stickler for detail, it seems.
Did you ever iron out those details on conventional vs. climb cutting, that you claimed couldn't exist with a circular saw blade?
--
EA

Pavel314 wrote the following:

But it is mostly "eisen".