Some quikrete has white portland

Without any warning the Tampa plant has been bagging quikrete with white portland in it. (sold at Lowes) I suppose it has to do with the cement shortage we are having in S. Fla. If you like bone white concrete this is a great deal but you might end up with Palomino concrete if you mix lots. It is fairly easy to spot if you see a busted bag on the pallet. The concrete will be a tad lighter than usual and a softer texture. I have been seeing it off and on for a few weeks now and I just scored 12 bags to finish a project I started "white". There was some of both in the store but no real indication on the bag other than the look of the cement in the concrete. I had to dig around a little to find white. The store manager still denies any knowlege of it as does the Lowes web site but the slabs I have poured are undisputable.
On 12 Jul 2004 20:37:41 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Greg) wrote:

Why do masons like white concrete? I need to have a brick porch replaced and none of the masons I contacted are willing to consider other color options for a concrete floor. I don't mean green concrete, just something muted and tasteful that won't stick out (like white) compared to my 1930s house. Even gray makes more sense than white. But every new job in my neighborhood has white. One guy mentioned that he doesn't like mixing it because it doesn't come out even, consistent, whatever. Someone must have been willing to use colored concrete at some point because my back porch (original) has a red concrete floor to match the brick.
Curly Sue wrote:

I agree -- most new concrete installed around here is this awful bright white variety. It fades verrrrrrry slowly but will never become a muted background gray, which is more appropriate for something utilitarian such as a sidewalk or driveway.
I'm told white concrete is favored by traffic engineers precisely *because* it stands out, e.g. allowing drivers to see a median, but why must sidewalks and driveways also stand out?
As far as I know, the concrete "shortage" is only in Florida.

it's here in phoenix, with rationing and delays common.

Part of the problem is that China is using more portland than it exports and that is a major source but locally I think it was just a bad long range buying decision by Krehling (the largest distributor in S Fla). The building bubble never popped and the government suddenly found the money to more than double the size of the RSW airport. That project alone is currently eating over 60% of Krehling's capacity. (concrete, block, mortar etc). The effect is rippling across S Fla. Is anyone else in other parts of the country having problems getting concrete? Builders around here (Ft Myers/Naples) are about 3-4 weeks out on orders.
With grey your color options are greyed and limited as your base is darker. With white you have more color options with a lighter base. your nice tans will only come out of white.