Some help with range elements

I'm at that point in a kitchen remodel where I have to make a decision about the drop in oven/ range. Replace or repair. The existing unit is cosmetically acceptable, in fact desireable. However, in addition to the clock timer being out, the range elements are exhibiting strange characteristics during operation.
One element will cook for a while and then cuttoff in the middle of the cooking cycle. One will never get up to full high heat with a pot on it, but will if you remove the pot.
When I have had a complete burnout, it is easy you can check for continuity and will get none. But i'm not sure in this case if it is the elements, the temperature dial switches, or the connection between the two. Can you check an element and have a specific resistance reading that would qualify them as good? if so what is it.
Can switches open up in mid cooking cycle?
Bottom line, if I have to replace the timer/clock, switches and elements, probably makes sense to get a new unit. If it is just a couple of elements with the timer, I'll probably keep the existing.
Thanks
Frank
Sounds like something I'd jetison.
http://www.repairclinic.com/0100_27.asp
parts will cost so much your better off replacing the cooktop
Frank Boettcher wrote:

That's typical symptom of element partially burned out in the middle. You may see sparks in the dark when gently tapped with the power applied. It always shows good when cold but when heated, starts acting up. Tony
I had a burner switch do that the contacts inside must of been partially fried. if its a burner with a brain the sensor can cause this too.
Frank Boettcher wrote:

Do the math and compare the cost of a new unit to parts replacement. If you have the regular kind of burners (not glass in type) then they cost about $20 for the large units and $16 for the smaller ones. Switches tend to be expensive, but they seldom go bad. If I had a clock timer go out, I wouldn't replace because we never use it.
So figure the cost of replacing your two bad elements, and the clock timer. Forget changing switches and do it only if you find that changing the elements did solve the problems.
BTW, get the burners wherever the price is lowest, but go to a real appliance parts store to get the other parts such as clocktimers, switches and indicator lights.
On Thu, 09 Feb 2006 10:29:09 -0600, Frank Boettcher

The simplest way is to put another element in its place and see if it works there. You have two of each size, right?i

Although some would say it's not worth say 100 dollars to save a 300 dollar cooktop, just guessing at prices, if it buys you another 5 or 10 years, the interest on the 200 dollars you save is what, 10 dollars a year for a total of 50 or 100 dollars, plus when you do finally replace it, it will be with something newer than what is available now.
If you don't replace the clock (I have a clock and a timer in my microwave) you could put some artwork in its place, something your little kid did, or a diorama of your ancestors when they were defending the Alarmo or pioneer settlers in Ohio. Or you coudl put in a fish tank.