Some general propane/NG generator questions

A lot more likely with a gasoline gennie - they run propane forklifts and zambonies inside all the time - so sitting outside is not a huge risk.

She/you might want to look at diesel powered generators. Diesel fuel can sit for long periods of time and still be ok. Tanks of diesel for irrigation use sit outside for months at a time without any being used. There are fuel filters on them. Off road diesel is cheaper than on road also due to no fuel tax.
On one hand, HOAs are great. You never have to worry about your neighbor storing a 1970s travel trailer or other unsightly junk in their yard. OTOH, you might be restricted from running a generator to keep your pipes from freezing. So the $64K question is, will the HOA even allow the install of a buried propane tank and a generator?
Another consideration is that if power outages are a problem for your friend, they are likely a problem for everyone in the HOA. With member support, maybe the HOA could install a community propane tank and amend it's rules to allow individual generators? If not, your friend is screwed.
On 7/19/2015 10:25 AM, Bob wrote:

You might be restricted from many things that are inconsequential in normal lives.
I'd never move to a place with an HOA. Fiefdoms are a thing of the past, or at least should be.
Per Ed Pawlowski:

I arrived at the same conclusion after watching a few condo buildings in Hawaii. I came away with the impression that participation in HOA governing bodies attracts a certain type of person - and it's not the type of person I would want running my life, even a tiny sliver of it.
--
Pete Cresswell

There's a lot of truth to that, but you'd better check carefully to make sure there is no HOA.
In Md. or maybe Central Md. or maybe Baltimore County, every new neighborhood where one person subdivides a parcel for housing must have an HOA. It doesn't have to meet or collect dues but there has to be one.
I got a conversion kit from Century Fuel Products. They been in the propane industry since the beginning.
They told me a 20 pound tank is comparable to 4.5 Gallons of gasoline.
I also need a hose for my home. They I directed me to their hose page. It shows you what you need and they are very inexpensive.
http://www.centuryfuelproducts.com/generators/accessories/low-pressure-propane-natural-gas-hose-for-the-home.html
Hope this helps. :)