Some general propane/NG generator questions

battery from the car to start it, and plug in a battery charger to keep it up and run the ignition. (Unless you mean the BIG alternator ---in which case he WAS screwed.
Per TomR:

Made me feel a little better about my "Lifeboat" (as opposed to "Cruise Ship") implementation using two Honda EU2000's in parallel.
--
Pete Cresswell

On 7/18/2015 8:47 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

If you happen to ask, please get the brand of that unit, so we can consider a different brand.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 7/18/2015 8:47 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

Heard that story from someone else who said his son had set his house up with such a generator and it failed first time he needed it.
My portable generator, 9 years old, works fine.
Per Frank:

Unless outages are more frequent that they are around here, I think the substantial PITA factor of deploying two portables is more than compensated for by the reliability factor of a much simpler setup.
I started out with a single portable (2kw) because our house cruises on 800-1200 watts. Got the second one for redundancy - but being able to run the big microwave, the toaster, and/or the coffee maker is a nice-to-have.
A few more years and I may have a change of heart... but that's the way I see it now.
--
Pete Cresswell

On Sunday, July 19, 2015 at 9:08:26 PM UTC-4, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

if you ever vacation in the winter where things can freeze.you will regret the day you didnt get a automatic standby generator.
as your cleaing up and dealing with frozen smashed toilets, frozen dishwasher, frozen washing machine etc etc.....
if you have a boiler for stem heat, it will be very worse.....
if you get a auto standby geneator that doesnt stop you from buying a portable too.
and with all the computer hacking the feds have admitted our power grid can be attacked.
so add in someone intentionally turning our power off:(
On Sunday, July 19, 2015 at 9:59:57 PM UTC-4, bob haller wrote:

lastly if you have a auto backup generator at least monthly trip off the main breaker, and allow the backup to do its thing and confirm it works......
i mean isnt that common sense?

is having one, depending on it, and having it not work.
On Sunday, July 19, 2015 at 10:18:12 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

so do a monthly test run, just turn off the main breaker, and if the home doesnt within a couple minutes power back up

didn't test it for 6 months you'd still know it ran the last time you tested it. I've heard a LOT of noise about the permanently installed Generac air cooled units being total junk. Like not working 2 days after a test run, when the power goes out. And not lasting as long as a cheap Briggs and Stratton.
On 07/19/2015 11:12 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I've got a 6-year-old 16k Generac and never had a problem with it. Every summer we get a really nasty thunderstorm that knocks out power for 72 hours. Generac has saved the day every time.
That being said, I also had a power inlet installed so that I can easily attach a portable...if I ever need. ;-)
FWIW, back in the good-old-days (before deregulation), the power lines were cleared of trees and the power never went out. We didn't need no stinkin' generators.
On 07/20/2015 03:35 AM, Jack Stud wrote:
[snip]

Here, there have been 3 major power outages. All involved trees falling on the line.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/
On 07/20/2015 11:21 AM, Mark Lloyd wrote:

It makes sense when "outages" is followed by "since 1998" as it should have been.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

I was "walking the lines" one winter after a major storm had cut power for many, many people. (everybody in the company who could be spared and who was willing got trained on how to "walk the lines" and spot problems after a storm).
One guy started ranting at me about how he had never, ever, in his whole life seen power outages like he saw when he moved here.
"Where did you live before coming here?"
"Saudi Arabia"
"Lotta trees in Saudi Arabia, are there?"
"Oh......."
--
Pete Cresswell

On 07/19/2015 08:59 PM, bob haller wrote:
[snip]

I read this novel where the Chinese cut of power in part of the US. A lot of standby generators were poorly maintained and wouldn't start.
--
"Who are you to criticize me for god's choice to make me an atheist?"

On Sun, 19 Jul 2015 21:39:46 -0500, Sam E

U.S. Wouldn't one have to have a huge supply of fuel on hand if that happens? I imagine it would take some time to get anything up and running again. I've heard Texas is on it's own as far as power goes.

On Sun, 19 Jul 2015 21:39:46 -0500, Sam E

Per bob haller:

My vacationing days are over - but I take your point.... had not thought of that.
OTOH, when we did leave the house we learned to drain the water system before leaving. The lesson that taught us that was the #1 daughter's copper plumbing suddenly springing multiple pinhole leaks from something to do with the character of their water... they weren't away and it wasn't winter... but if they were away the house would have been nearly totaled.
But five days of freezing temps even without water in the system? I can't think anything good could come out of that.
--
Pete Cresswell

On 07/19/2015 08:08 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
[snip]

I had been considering one of those big things, but now I agree with you.

[snip]
Redundancy is good, although you need to run both a while every month.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

and Gasoline) at the office. If you are going to test run them, run them long enough to get them fully warmed up and the battery replenished from starting - or better to just leave them sit. Properly stored, a Propane or NG powered unit should be OK sitting for several YEARS without starting, as long as the battery is properly maintained. A 440CC engine might be a bit challenging to start with the rope starter when cold and the fuel system not primed.
A gasoline unit would need the fuel freshened every once in a while. Store the unit dry and keep a supply of ethanol free fuel on hand - kept fresh by rotating into your road vehicle or other regularly used equipment..
The office unit has 2 30 lb propane bottles sitting waiting, and a 20 lb BarB Q tank with however much happens to be left in it at any time as a spare.
The home unit runs off NG, but I have the adaptor to also run off Propane if required and I generally have at least 1 20 lb tank on hand, as well as a few gallons of Gasoline for the lawnmower/snowblower etc which can be pressed into use if required.
I start them twice a year to test, and that's more than adequate