Some floodlights have shields around the bulbs now.

Some outdoor floodlights have shields around the bulbs now.

Is that so that when they are on, and hot, and it rains on them, they won't crack? That's what I figure, but if so, why did it take so many years to provide these shields and why do some floods still not have them.

If that's not the reason for the shield, what is!

Thanks.

Reply to
mm

I don't know the exact rationale, but I can speculate. Maybe it helps keep at least some moisture away from the socket. Maybe it helps prevent bulb damage from minor hits. Maybe it just looks nice. Etc.

Reply to
mike

Looks and security would be my guess.

I just bought a 2 bulb motion detector model and I paid $5 more for the model that shielded the sides of the bulbs because I think it will be more difficult for vandals to break the bulbs.

Exterior rated bulbs are designed to handle the cold rain on the hot bulb.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

I thought so you dont see the ugly bulbs silver reflector but they do protect bulbs.

Reply to
ransley

As you don't mind all the things living in that nice warm protected space, when you go to change bulbs...

Reply to
aemeijers

Gee. Thanks for ruining my day.

I still think I am more concerned about the 2 legged, upright walking illegal residents than I am the ones loving in this small warm space.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

I didn't even think about vandals breaking the bulbs!

Well that certainly makes sense. I did have a bulb that cracked once. And no one goes in my back yard, let alone throw rocks at the light. I sleep three feet from the light (through the window).

I assumed it was the rain when it was hot. But it's too late to verify it was an exterior-rated bulb. I intended to buy that.

As to things living inside, hadn't thought about that either, because mine isn't on much. If it were on 8 hours a night, or in a warmer climate, yeah, wow.

Reply to
mm

If vandalism is that big a problem in your area, you need the floods with the lexan bubbles around them. Or maybe somebody still makes the wire cages, if you can find ones that fit your outside decor. Paint them black, and they vanish pretty well.

Security 101- you don't put the lights on the building in high-risk areas. You put them on poles, shining on the building, to eliminate shadow zones people can hide in.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers