some beginner's painting questions

Page 1 of 2
Hi All,
Some beginner's painting questions:
1) for 8 sq ft do a really need a roller? Or can I stick with a brush?
2) if using a brush, can I dip directly into the can? Or, will the second time I dip it into the can contaminate the can?
3) do I caulk before or after I paint?
4) water cleanup. Does this mean the hose outside or can I use the sink inside? (Will it mess up the sink?)
Many thanks, -T

1. you can use either a brush or a roller. I don't like the brush strokes that brushes leave, so I would use a small roller. They come in small (3&4 inches) and larger sizes (9 and 12"). for the small area you mentioned, I would go with a disposable 4" roller. if you need a second coat of paint. Put the roller in a ziplock bag while the first coat of paint dries. Then apply the second coat.
2. I typically don't like to dip directly in a paint can, but you can do it but you do risk getting contaminates in the can. For a small job, just pour some into a paper plate/bowl or a disposable clean plastic container like the little ones that cool whip comes in.
3. if you're using a clear caulking, you can paint either before or after. If you use a non-clear caulking, I would suggest applying the caulking before you paint. Just make sure the caulking is labeled as paintable.
4. This may get you unwanted comments as environmentalist will say either way is harmful. For the small area, I would use disposable items that can be put into a ziplock bag, and then wash up using the sink.
Robin

Agree with the other comments. Outside cleanup would make a mess if it is paved. Sink is OK, use regular dishwashing soap and lots of water. I'm for disposables though. You can use more water to rinse the paint than is wasted by tossing a cheap roller cover.
On 09/20/2012 02:55 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Hi Ed and Robin,
Excellent advice. Thank you for sharing! Never thought of a disposable roller and a zip lock bag.
-T
Todd wrote:

Either. But a small roller will usually do a better job.

The basic rule is to not paint from the can. Pour some paint into a separate container. It's no so much contamination - although that can be a factor if you're painting a ghastly surface - as it is exposing the canned paint to air. Oxygen is the enemy of paint.

Either. Depends on whether you want the caulk to match the paint. Also consider whether the paint will stick to the caulk you use.

If using LATEX paint, you can use the sink. Hint: A dabble of fabric softener make clean-up much easier.
Last Hint: Invest in one of the "Painting Secrets" books you find at the box store. The one I've got is chock-a-block full of useful tips. Here's one for free:
"Oil and Water do not mix." What this means is that you can spray your hands with PAM before you start and you won't end up all speckeled.
One more: Cling wrap on your glasses makes cleaning them trivial.
On 09/20/2012 04:41 PM, HeyBub wrote:

Thank you
Here are two more rules that you wont find in any book:
1.    Dont paint hinges or locks or any mechanical parts. 2.    You need to sand-down close clearances on cabinets and doors before you paint.
On 09/20/2012 05:04 PM, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Thank you
I'm guessing it would not be hard to find those advices in books.
Here are two more rules that you wont find in any book:
1. Dont paint hinges or locks or any mechanical parts. 2. You need to sand-down close clearances on cabinets and doors before you paint.
Thats exactly what I thought when I told those rules when I talked to my clients until one day one of them asked me to reference it. I must have looked through dozens of house painting books and I still look-through them every time I come across a book on painting but to this day I have never seen those advises written-down in any book. I would greatly appreciate it if you could give me the name and author of any book on house painting that has that advice in. I would immediately buy it and carry it around in my truck to show as reference.
On Thu, 20 Sep 2012 22:44:57 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"

You would'nt know anyhow. Mormons dont paint, they just let Jesus do the job. Then they rub their shit on the walls to make nice brown walls, until Jesus changes the color scheme, and thus changes the color of their shit. Ask Mitt Ronmey, he asked Jesus to make him famous, and now he's harassing everyone in America with excessive phone calls and attacking the president with his lies. Mormons are taught to lie to cover up their cult brainwashing.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Very good advice. Also remove the switch and outlet plates before painting. Also door knobs.
This may be a good time to replace yucky-looking hinges, too.

That depends entirely on what you're painting. If it's a scuffed or damaged area in the middle of a wall that was previously painted with a roller, then you should use a roller, otherwise the surface will have a visibly different texture and it won't look right.
What are you painting?

That's what most people do.

"Contaminate" it with what? If whatever you're painting is so dirty that you'd contaminate the can by dipping the brush twice, it's too damn dirty to paint in the first place.

After. It's too hard to paint a decent-looking edge on a bead of caulk.

Either one. Latex paint won't harm your grass. Also won't damage the sink, as long as you rinse it off completely. If you do it outside, make sure you do it in the lawn, not over a driveway, sidewalk, patio, decorative stone, colored mulch, etc -- you _will not_ get it rinsed well enough to avoid leaving a stain, no matter how hard you try.
On 09/20/2012 07:19 PM, Doug Miller wrote:

Wall and ceiling above the shower. I will go with the small roller everyone is suggesting

Thank you

I can't paint without getting it everywhere. I cover up everything and it still gets everywhere.
I did see a tip to use a rubber band to take excess paint off of the brush.
On 09/20/2012 07:24 PM, Metspitzer wrote:

Forewarned is forearmed. Thank you

WHAT ARE YOU PAINTING ?
Greg
On 09/20/2012 07:44 PM, gregz wrote:

Wall and ceiling above the shower. I will go with the small roller everyone is suggesting. (Wife pointed out she suggested it first.)
HF and Lowe's both have small roller, about four inches, with metal and plastic handle. I really love them. But, the rollers won't interchange, on the other brand of handle.
Wall and ceiling above the shower. I will go with the small roller everyone is suggesting. (Wife pointed out she suggested it first.)

Try to get a paint that's mold resistant, but I dont have any problems with regular. My bathrooms flat paint.
Greg