Some basement leveling advice?

Hi,
Here's a picture of the spot in my basement where I want to move my washer and dryer:
http://freeboundaries.com/basement.jpg
There's access to gas, electricity, hot/cold water and drain and dryer exhaust - so I'm OK on that. Also, I recognize the obvious wetness problem.
But what I would like to do is hints on how to level that spot. What I'm planing to do is build a 60"x30" wooden frame and pour self leveling compound there to give me a flat and level platform to house the washer and the dryer. Good idea or bad idea?
Thanks!
Aaron
Aaron Fude wrote:

What is that mound of white stuff between the wall and floor?
--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

It looks like part of the sheetrock paper that has peeled off from the moisture damage.
Mikepier wrote:

Nope, that looks like part of the foundation peeking through the finish walls. Hard to tell much from the picture, but this looks like an older house with a less-than optimal basement.
I don't think that lump at bottom of wall will prove to be a problem- washer and dryer need to sit out about that far anyway, for the hoses and stuff to hook on the back. Any minor variations, the leveling legs can take care of. Definitely lose that section of carpet- washers ALWAYS leak at some point. Is the window-seat-looking thing on the left going to go away? I don't see 60 inches of width there.
What concerns me more is that door on the right- if it is just a closet, the W/D will make it hard to get in to. If it is a passageway out, or leads to a mechanical room, it is likely a code violation to put anything that keeps door from opening fully. Also don't like the scorch marks on that 6-way adapter on the wall outlet- hope OP wasn't planning on using that circuit to power the washer and dryer.
-- aem sends...

make certain the circuit the washer will plug into has the amp capacity to power it.
not already overloaded with other stuff.
I would definetely install a interior french drain with sump pump, regrade the outside yard, mke certain the downspouts take water far from foundation, and if radon is concern in your area get that tested too, before worrying about the washer and dryer

I think thats overkill. The washer and dryer come with leveling legs, and you could always use wood shims. Building a wood structure is prone to moisture problems. My washer and dryer sit on a less than perfect floor and I managed to level them with the legs If that is carpet to the left in the picture, I would get rid of it.

What I see and what you shoud be worried about is the mold on the wall, start with bleach to kill it and a dehumidifier.

Yes yes yes :) mold is a problem and it is being addressed. That's why I mentioned it in my original post hoping it won't be a distraction!
That's not sheetrock - it's stucco over stone. The previous owner put it up to conceal the wetness problem in the basement.
I have no idea wha that mound of white stuff is - I was hoping someone would tell me! I think it's more stucco over stone.

Yes yes yes :) mold is a problem and it is being addressed. That's why I mentioned it in my original post hoping it won't be a distraction!
That's not sheetrock - it's stucco over stone. The previous owner put it up to conceal the wetness problem in the basement.
I have no idea wha that mound of white stuff is - I was hoping someone would tell me! I think it's more stucco over stone.
It could be a sewer line. I've seen some in old basements that protrude out from the floor a little and have been cemented over. That would explain the slope.

Returning to the issue of wetness in
http://freeboundaries.com/basement.jpg
Does the coat of stucco serve any wetness protection function or is it purely decorative? Could I benefit from removing the stucco and repointing the stone? (It's stucco over large granite stone.)