Solid Fuses: Visible Indicator If Blown?

Page 1 of 5
Specially LittleFuse KLK-15 as in http://tinyurl.com/kfs8gje
This thing is almost certainly blown (ohmmeter shows same reading with or without fuse in circuit)... I'm looking at and looking at it, but can't see any visible indicator.
There is none, right?
--
Pete Cresswell

Need to remove the fuse from circuit.
VOM on ohms scale. Low ohms, like x1.
Reading of infinity means blown, low ohms (under 10) means fuse is OK.
Typically no such thing as a little pregnant ^h^h^h^h^h^h^h^h bad.
On 9/21/2013 8:22 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

You're measuring the circuit? I'm curious why you don't measure the ohms of the fuse.
It shows infinite? How do you know that's not because of some other flaw in the circuit? Yeah, yeah, yeah, it was working before, but that's a conclusion. You have the ohmmeter in your hand and the fuse out of its socket.. Why not measure the fuse?

Per micky:

Poor choice of words on my part. That's what I was doing: measuring the fuse.
--
Pete Cresswell

Is it permitted, to admit mistayk on Usenet? I thought you were supposed to flame?
On 9/22/2013 10:24 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

You know, looking at it again, it could be red either way. I guess I thought you were measuring the circuit because people do sometimes and because the reading of the fuse while the fuse is in the circuit is hardly worth mentioning, once you've measured it while it's out.
Per micky:

Thanks, but, in retrospect, when I pick it apart it technically does not make sense: with the fuse out of the "Circuit" there's nothing between the probes... therefore no circuit.
--
Pete Cresswell

Au contraire.
"(ohmmeter shows same reading with or without fuse in circuit)"
You don't say that the reading is the reading from the circuit. It coudl be the reading from the fuse, whether it is in or out of the circuit.
Per micky:

That's where the "...poor choice of words..." comes in.
--
Pete Cresswell

Did anyone figure out which three settings on VOM will test a fuse?
On 9/21/2013 8:22 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

Correct: No visible indicator. Fuses with transparent bodies or windows do allow visual detection of failure, but even that isn't a dead-certainty,
Do not test the /circuit/, test the /fuse/.
To determine whether or not the fuse is blown, you MUST remove it from the circuit (or at least one leg of it), and check between the fuse terminals with a multimeter set to ohms, A good fuse will show zero ohms. A bad fuse will show considerably higher than zero.
--
Tegger

On 9/21/2013 8:17 PM, Tegger wrote:

It's actually very easy to test a fuse in circuit. There are three different settings on a DMM that will allow you to do it. Explain it and you get a gold star. It's actually the best way to test BFF, Big Fracking Fuses and those that bolt in. ^_^
TDD

V, Ω, and the D word. I accidentally learned something again. There are several types of Ds.
On 9/21/2013 8:58 PM, Dean Hoffman > wrote:

Ω is the last setting to use after V and A. I'm guessing D stands for Dumb-ass. ^_^
TDD

Diode. How would one know if the lack of A is due to the fuse and not another cause?
Dean Hoffman > wrote:

How would capacitance (farads) test a diode?
The cheap VOM I've got from HF, test volts AC, volts DC, miliamps DC, amps DC.
Good VOM might include farads, diode, AC amps.
A few generations from now, we'll test dilithium crystals for the warp drive.
On 9/21/2013 10:44 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

On 9/21/2013 9:13 PM, Dean Hoffman > wrote:

I'm jealous, yours has a diode tester but wait, it's the lowest resistance setting on my stable of DMM's. I often have to check fuses in circuit because pulling a fuse could cause a disruption if it's the wrong one or a bolt in fuse. First I check for voltage on either end of a fuse to ground then across the fuse, a good fuse should measure zero volts across it but since I'm not a trusting sort when I'm 'round 'lectrizity, I may check for current flow by touching the leads across the fuse, sometimes with a suitable resistor in series. Only then, set the meter to the ohms scale and start checking. My methodology works for large and bolt in fuses or small fuses that are hard to remove and access. A very useful and interesting item for control circuitry is a small circuit breaker with leads to put across a fuse that's blown to prevent the release of the magic smoke contained in all electrical and electronic gear when one checks for a short circuit. I don't always have room in my pocket for a Variac with a large volt/amp meter. ^_^
TDD
If memory serves, you're going to tell us which three settings on a DMM. One is volts, other is ohms. What's the third?
The other guy's diode tester might be similar to continuity scale I've seen now and again. Activates a high pitch beeper if continuity is found. Which is nice if you don't want to look at the scale. And if you can hear the beeper.