Solid Countertops for the DIY

I want to put in a solid countertop in my kitchen. However, I discovered that the ones I found locally (Corain etc ) aren't available for the DIY.

I'm an experienced wood worker and this doesn't seem like a difficult very difficult job especially in my case a straight run of about 10 feet.

Any products available for the DIY?

Willi

Reply to
Willi

Probably none. But since these things can look like shit if done improperly, the manufacturer has to maintain some degree of control over things that are not under their control.

Reply to
ng_reader

I'm in a similar situation, and my plan is to use soapstone. It seems like an ideal countertop surface: heat impervious and very non-porous, unlike many granites. Plus it is soft enough to be cut with woodworking tools.

Cheers, Wayne

Reply to
Wayne Whitney

You could take the training course that Corian offers. I don't know how much that costs.

I'd go with a Corian installer. That way you get a lifetime guarantee on the countertop. In my case, it was worth it.

Also, if you put your microwave on a Corian counter, but something underneath the microwave so that counter doesn't get too hot.

Reply to
Dan Espen

That's true with just about any job

What if the manufacturers of everything ie drywall, floor tile etc etc did this?

Willi

Reply to
Willi

valid point

Well, you have to follow the money on this one. Solid suface material is not made up of any expensive. In fact, the stuff that goes into it is quite

*inexpensive*. How do you get away with putting $20 of raw materials into something and then charging $1000 for it? Answer: because you can.

My buddy is a handyman, and knows a deal when he sees one. He found some solid surface stuff that was a bargain. Like $600 for a 8 foot section. My research suggested the piece was fabricated in Saudi Arabia, and then somehow found its way to the good ol USA and then undercut the DuPont stuff by 30%.

What does it all mean? I don't really know.

But, to answer the first part of the question, this stuff supposedly can be butt-jointed, sanded, and you have no way of knowing any seam existed. I guess there is an "art" to that. Who knows.

The stuff from the middle east? Hi-Macs or something like that.

Good luck with the job.

Reply to
ng_reader

You could always use formica.

Reply to
Mikepier

It's probably not what you had in mind but if I wanted to build a DIY countertop, I'd consider something like large (12in by 12in) granite tiles.

Or even an engineered stone tile if you want a material that's totally non-porus and doesn't need sealing.

I'd use very thin grout lines and a sandless grout.

There are various options for finishing the edges:

  • Matching pre-formed tiles (but that will limit your basic tile choices quite a bit).
  • Custom formed tiles. It's possible to cut/polish the stone yourself although probably easier to get this done. I'm told that quite a few places will do this for a modest price.
  • Some kind of hardwood (or even metal) molding.

In any event, you can finish up with something that looks and performs pretty much like a granite countertop at a fraction of the price. And take pride in the fact that you did it yourself.

Corian is a neat material but it's quite easy to damage mechanically or with heat (although such damage can often be repaired quite easily). And being plastic, it does look a little like, ummm, plastic. Finally, as you've already discovered, a DIY installation means you'll be battling with Dupont at every step.

Reply to
Malcolm Hoar