solenoid valve buzz

This is the type of valve found on irrigation systems (24V ac). Is it normal for them to buzz (loudly). I'm guessing not, maybe a slight hum but not a loud buzz.

Reply to
djh7097

Try adjusting the solenoid valve. Usually you can take them apart and re-install them.

Reply to
Mikepier

loud buzzing is not "normal

usually indicates solenoid core not retracting to a "happy" position.

tap on it lightly when actuated, wee if it stops.

otherwise, unscrew it, rinse it out (be careful to not loose core or little spring), re-install, check operation.

I had one that was all corroded (stainless bracket AND wires) hummed like crazy, I replaced it with a new unit but I cleaned up the old, soldered new leads & heat shriink tubing.

Works fine but I never put it back in service

cheers Bob

Reply to
BobK207

This is Turtle.

I have two cures for a buzzing solenoid .

1] Remove coil off shaft and wrap scotch tap around the shaft and the put the solinoid back on it. it Might stop it.

2} replace it.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

I think you have a valve that has been crossed with a bumblebee.

Now it doesn't just water your flowers, it will pollinate them too.

mm

Other replies relate to solenoid chatter. This may very well be the nature of the problem. However, I recently installed a new valve assembly in the brass valve body and got a high pitched buzz whenever the valve was actuated. I turned out that this was the result of restricting the flow by manually closing the valve too far. The diaphragm which restricts the flow (about 1" in diameter) is backed up by a spring and the two were resonating. Backing off on the manual closure ended the problem.

Since our mains pressure here is about 95#, I was trying to minimize the stress on some old plastic piping. Apparently, I just got more pressure differential across the valve than the design could accommodate.

SJF

Reply to
SJF

Nah, it's definately chatter since it also does it with the water off.

I'll replace the entire unit, costs less than the repair parts. Since it's controlling the water supply for my heat pump I don't want to risk it failing when it gets to -30C outside.

Reply to
djh7097