Soldering Technique...

I had to solder some copper water supply pipes recently. Fortunately, none of the connections leaked. I am using a standard butane (blue) torch.

With most joints, when I touched the solder to the heated metal, the solder was drawn into the joint just as it should be. But on a couple of joints, the melted solder seemed to ball up on the surface of the pipe (though these connection still did not leak).

Why would this happen? -Did I not clean the surface properly? -Did I not apply enough flux? -Did I overheat the joint before applying the solder?

Thanks for your help.

Reply to
hanson

Maybe some or all of the sources you named. If the tubing is cleaned until shiny, well fluxed, and heated properly, it should be almost automatic.

As to heating, I'd suggest that you first be sure there's no water in the area. Then heat the far side of the joint while touching the solder to the near side (the gap.) With moderate heating rate. As soon as solder flows, remove torch and continue to feed solder until excess shows. Wipe gently if desired, and let cool slowly. Works for me- YMMV.

HTH, J

Reply to
barry

  1. Took advice from AMUN.
Reply to
G Henslee

I echo already posting.. adding for emphasis the heating of the joint AWAY, or on the far side of the joint from where you are touching the solder to... in other words if you make the hottest part of the joint the place farthest from where the solder is applied, the solder will "travel" around/through the joint giving you a good, well soldered joint.

Reply to
Jack

Let's get this straight fucktard, I have not and never will send you an email. As you can see I snipped the rest of your tripe. FOAD

You're on your last gasp here, shit for brains.

Reply to
G Henslee

Reply to
G Henslee

Right. As a point of clarification, I tell people to heat the far side of the fitting. If you tell them to heat the joint some people heat the pipe more than the fitting. Both will work, but keeping the heat applied to the far side of the fitting will ensure solder flow with a minimum of applied heat.

RicodJour

I'm not interested in your worn out butt-buddy gay son. I'm sure your daughters can handle the (blow) job quite nicely. No doubt you've trained them well.

Reply to
G Henslee

All , or any one of the above, and also add "underheating joints"

AMUN

Reply to
Amun

Reply to
Phil Munro

For the last time henslee. I refuse to answer and have blocked your personal emails, and have NO interest in either seeing you naked or letting you give me something called a "blow". No matter how many newsgroups you keep following me to.

Nor do I have any wish or inclination to join your pro-gay clubs or websites. You are free to choose your own sexual preferences, and share them with like minded people.

But I'm straight ! AND NOT INTERESTED Get over it already.

Is that clear enough ?

AMUN

Reply to
Amun

Actually if you are doing it correctly (after properly cleaning and fluxing) you heat the joint first.

Then once to temperature you remove the torch and apply the solder.

It should melt and flow into the joint all by itself, then cool and harden.

Do it that way and you CAN'T have a cold solder joint.

AMUN

Reply to
Amun

like minded people.

Sigh, no matter how many times you keep giving me "my last chance".

I am not now, nor will I EVER, been interested in you or your pro-gay lifestyle.

As you have already requested that others here never find out about your personal sexual preferences. I suggest you quit searching out all my posts.

And I will continue to ignore yours.

Don't worry, someday you will find some boy you may even like better for a pen pal.

But I just cannot return the feelings which your letters have expressed for me.

Sorry, but I prefer girls and no amount of your pleading will change that.

AMUN

Reply to
Amun

Poor surface preparation, not enough flux, or joint inadquately heated..

Reply to
Travis Jordan

Heat the far side of the fitting from where you're applying the solder. It may be in your general direction, but you're a couple of feet away. You're not going to burst into flame.

RicodJour

Both of you guys...Get down to the principal's office, raht now!

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Amun posted for all of us... I don't top post - see either inline or at bottom.

Is that gay arabic for Stumped? He's now calling other posters gay which leaves me to believe he is conflicted about his sexuality and tries to purge it by belching out unsafe and bad "advice"

Reply to
Tekkie®

RicodJour posted for all of us... I don't top post - see either inline or at bottom.

Heat the far side? Never heard of that. Aren't you directing the heat toward you then?

Reply to
Tekkie®

Yeah, but it sure beats scorching or setting ablaze the wall or ceiling behind almost every pipe. :-)

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia