Soldering eyeglass Frames

Page 3 of 5
JoeSpareBedroom writes:

So take your imports to the optometrist who wrote the Rx. That's his job, to check that sort of thing. And you can check them yourself, if you know how.

What sort of work do you do? In other words, what do you do for a living?
JoeSpareBedroom writes:

Various engineering things, including optical engineering.

Do you work for free in all your "things", or do you get paid for some of them?
JoeSpareBedroom writes:

Huh? You asked me what I did for a living. That means I get paid for engineering. Unless I've missed your point.

You suggested taking imported glasses back to the person who wrote the prescription. In many cases, that person also sells glasses, so essentially, you're doing this:
- Buy $200 lawn mower from Wal Mart - When it has problems, take it to a locally owned specialty shop and ask them to "check it" for free.
You never actually said "free", but if the optometrist said he charged $35 to check them, you might balk.
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

You are right. For $35.00 USD you can probably buy a device, from china, to check 'em. Then, for the rest of your life, you can check any of yours, friends or family ... :-)
Regards, JS

Well you paid your optometrist to check your eyes. My optometrist doesn't sell glasses so I don't see why it would be an issue. They have all of the equipment to check the lenses as well. There is a shop next door that they refer business to, but you don't have to get it made by them.
Mike
JoeSpareBedroom writes:

Yes, optometrists are professionally bound to check your fit. They are not in the business of selling eyeglasses or profiting from their sale. Kind of like how medical doctors don't sell drugs or care where you get your prescription filled. Think about why it has to be that way, ethically and professionally.

True, but I get my eyes checked by an opthalmologist for a number of reasons. She (and her office) aren't that easy to access.

The optician screwed up when he fit the lenses to your frames and had to order another set so he could try again. There was nothing wrong with those lenses until he screwed them up.

I can't believe how many people here are in the eyeglass business! Amazing! How long have you been doing that job?

If this is true, how could you expect a reasonably close fit?

You're both right. The 1 hour places stock a bunch of lenses and cut to fit frames as needed. Not a big deal. If, however, you have more complex needs, progressive lenses, etc, you won't get them in an hour. Those will be sent out and the stock lenses are modified to your particular prescription. There are many labs that do this on a regular route basis. They pick up at the optometrist and drop them off a few days later.
The lenses are mostly plastic today. They are molded as a round lens and cut to shape as needed and the optic center is placed as needed. The same was done with glass lenses years ago but they make a tiny percentage of the market today. Plastic is optically clear, safer, cheaper, lighter, easier to work with. They are not "ground" as glass was years ago, but molded to the proper diopter. Most of the work is done by machine and it takes but a few minutes.
Before they moved out of town, I used to sell lens trays to American Optical. The glass making sections of the factory were being replaced by molding machines. They make the lenses for pennies.
I got a couple pair of glasses from Zenni. They seem fine to me. Gunner Asch has also mentioned being satisfied with Zenni.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Gummy is also satisfied with Bush, Cheney, Iraq, the Economy, the Environment and using a saturday night special as a leather punch.
John Smith writes:

Hong Kong.

Yep.
Yep.

Please share your prescription with us.
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

Two pair cost me about $70.00 USD to order (shipping stays the the same, $4.95 USD, no matter how many pairs you order!)
Even if he is fibbing, maybe it will work out. At least at that price, I won't be disappointed longer than a couple of hours. <LOL>
Regards, JS
JoeSpareBedroom writes:

R -2.50-0.50x174 L -3.00-1.25x175
PDq