Soldering eyeglass Frames

Page 2 of 5

Marsha, That's a horrible story but probably very typical. I've always suspected that most glasses purchases are a rip-off. I can't see more than a few dollars worth of materials and labor in a pair of frames. Fortunately, I need only reading glasses and have never paid more than 3 pairs for $19.95! Other family members need prescription lenses and get screwed on price all the time.
Ivan Vegvary

What business are you in? How do you make a living?
Ivan Vegvary wrote:

The How it's Made series that runs on the Discovery Channel had an episode showing the manufacture of eyeglass frames, as well as an episode showing the lens manufacture. There is a bit more involved than you probably think, and on the lens side there is some very expensive specialized equipment involved.

I'm pretty happy with my contacts.
Ivan Vegvary writes:

Huh. I never pay more than $1/each at the dollar store.
Wow, your dollar stores sure are expensive, there.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Shawn Hirn wrote:

Been there, Tried that. Lotsa luck finding new frames where the lens holes are the same shape and size. Now that Stylists design frames instead of Engineers, and they change them pretty much constantly, the chances of a plug-in replacement are slim at best. Unless you can find a local lab that is willing to whittle the old lenses to fit (which would probably cost more than new lenses), this is probably not a plausible solution.
aem sends...

The Dollar Store reading glasses have excellent eyeglass frames. Marginally better ones (as in looks) can be got at the pharmacists for $10 or less.
Wait! That's it - I should find a matching frame with those cheap reading glasses and swap the temple!
                 - = - Vasos Panagiotopoulos, Columbia'81+, Reagan, Mozart, Pindus, BioStrategist      http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/vjp2/vasos.htm ---{Nothing herein constitutes advice. Everything fully disclaimed.}--- [Homeland Security means private firearms not lazy obstructive guards] [Urb sprawl confounds terror] [Remorse begets zeal] [Windows is for Bimbos]
Edwin Pawlowski writes:

Yep. Get them mailed here from offshore places like http://www.zennioptical.com/ where they do a first-class job.
You're a sucker to pay the hometown optician racket any more.

Looks interesting, but do they do a perfect job with wacky prescriptions, like bifocals with extreme astigmatism?
On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 06:37:54 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"

I got Lasik surgery and my vision (for the first time) is 20/20 or slightly better. The surgery also corrected my astigmatism. I plan to recycle all my useless frames to a special Goodwill box. Wow, hard to believe frames can be so expensive!
You need the Rx to include pupilary distance. Zenni doesn't ask for temple size but since you are getting measured, might as well get those numbers too.
                 - = - Vasos Panagiotopoulos, Columbia'81+, Reagan, Mozart, Pindus, BioStrategist      http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/vjp2/vasos.htm ---{Nothing herein constitutes advice. Everything fully disclaimed.}--- [Homeland Security means private firearms not lazy obstructive guards] [Urb sprawl confounds terror] [Remorse begets zeal] [Windows is for Bimbos]
Richard J Kinch wrote:

Geesh!
I was truly unaware such existed. Where are these people located? Have you done satisfactory business with them? The product is good?
As I type this, with my ~$600.00 glasses, I am beginning to wish I'd known about this sooner!
Regards, JS

Me, too. But, I've got an odd prescription (very nearsighted, bad astigmatism, bifocals). A few years back, I tried to save some money. Pearl, LensCrafters and Wal-Mart completely phuqued up the prescription, but all said "We followed the numbers provided by the doctor". Well, not really. Back to the usual expensive optician, who did a perfect job, as usual.
Fortunately, this little experiment cost me nothing but wasted time.
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

JoeSpareBedroom:
I am sure you realize that did NOT actually answer the questions I posed. Mainly why I asked, when I do business with off-shore associates, I get a mastercard debit card, place an appropriate sum on the card and handle it that way ...
Could you expand on what I previously asked, it would be greatly appreciated?
Such as, you have a pair of these glasses which you find acceptable? I do take your previous text as an affirmative, but would like concrete confirmation--I know the money is small, which is at risk, still I don't like being "stiffed."
Regards, JS

Sorry if I went off on a bit of a tangent. I can't speak to the quality of the offshore product, obviously. In fact, they might actually do a great job with odd prescriptions, and finding out is a pretty cheap gamble.
In order to get a perfect answer to your question, you will need to compare your prescription with those of other people who've used the service. Good luck.

One of the problems in getting a good fit is determining the optical center of your eyes. Just because a particular frame fits two people well, that doesn't mean their eyes are in the same positions relative to the frames. If all you need is simple dioptric correction, this might not matter, but if correction for astigmatism is required, you want the lens "centered" over the eye.
An optician puts a gadget over your eyes that lets them determine where the pupils fall. The lenses are then ground with their optical centers at those points.
For this reason, I would not have a Web or overseas company grind the lenses. Costco should be cheap enough.
William Sommerwerck wrote:

Really.
Off that site, a cheap pair of frames and lenses is ~$35.00USD (including shipping!) I can have multiple pairs and if I lose one, no big deal ... that site certainly looks good to me. As long as the area of corrected vision is large enough on the lenses--should work fine. Height of the pupil can be adjusted with adjustment of the nose pieces or padding.
I don't plan on wearing these glasses to see the king--just for work where something always happens to 'em!
Ever misplaced a pair of glasses, grabbed your backup and lost them? Everything stops until at least one set is recovered.
Regards, JS
William Sommerwerck writes:

You don't understand. It takes a small number of stock lenses to cover almost all the population for single-vision lenses. All you need are small set of increments of spherical powers crossed with a few astigmatic cylinder increments. These are stocked as big circular blanks.
Size and shape to fit the frame, PD centering, astigmatism angle, etc., are all fitted with a jig that cuts the big round blank to a final shape, center, and cylinder angle. The "optician" doesn't grind the optical surfaces.
Now, bifocal adds, progressives, extreme Rx powers, are another matter. But even those tend to be jobbed out to factories, not done by local craftsmen any more. And those factories are increasingly found overseas in an age of air transport.

Twice in 25 years, my optician has gotten lenses back from the "lab", installed them in the frames I already owned, put them on me, and said "These are not quite right." He was correct. They were weird. He gave me the option of putting the old ones back in and coming back when the replacements were done, or living with the "rejects".
It's worth a few hundred bucks to some people to know that what they're getting is perfect the first time.