Soldering eyeglass Frames

Page 1 of 5
I can reasonably solder electronics although I get an occasional cold solder joint. I have this pair of glasses I didn't wear much which cracked near the temple joint. (The temple cracked). The repair shops ask too much, compared to what I paid for the glasses. I tried online to find temples, to no luck. So I'm considering soldering it. My uncle (a retired EE) told me it would never hold. Part of the problem is it cracked very near the screw joint. and so would suffer a lot more torque than if it was further back. Any tips?
                 - = - Vasos Panagiotopoulos, Columbia'81+, Reagan, Mozart, Pindus, BioStrategist      http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/vjp2/vasos.htm ---{Nothing herein constitutes advice. Everything fully disclaimed.}--- [Homeland Security means private firearms not lazy obstructive guards] [Urb sprawl confounds terror] [Remorse begets zeal] [Windows is for Bimbos]

Yes, buy a new pair of glasses.
Will it hold? We can't tell you that not knowing what the material is that you are soldering. It may be brass, titanium, zinc, or something else. If they are junk now, you have nothing to lose so give it a try. Worse case scenario is you get a new pair.
snipped-for-privacy@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com wrote:

Consider brazing the joint; you may be able to find a hobbyist minitorch that uses tiny propane and oxygen cylinders -- Radio Shack used to sell these in the States.
FWIW, I have also made repairs on tiny objects using very low currents with a wire-feed welder; build up the repair and grind to final shape.
Michael
snipped-for-privacy@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com wrote:

I tend to be skeptical that solder joints hold well. They're meant to provide an electrical connection, not to be a structural component. But then I also pretty well suck at soldering.
Since the glasses are fairly useless as is, why not try soldering them and find out empirically how well it works?
- Logan

You could try a little JB Weld. It might look awful, but it might also work.
JB weld may very well do the job. The other option is to net search Zenni Optical, they are out of Hong Kong. You likely have your prescription, they will cheerfully sell you eye glasses cut to your Rx. You won't believe the prices, and the glasses are light weight, but I was pleased with the optics.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Cannibalize dollar store readers for a replacement temple piece.
You can braze with propane or MAPP and air.
A soldered butt joint won't typically hold, but it may work if you splint with a bit of steel or stainless wire there (any old guitar strings around?). You can gammon with fine Nichrome wire sold for ignitors on eBay.

This fellow uses silver solder to repair glasses. Not to be a shill for him, but we used him for DH's glasses, and he did a fine job. http://www.adamsfashionoptical.com/Services/repair.htm
J.
How about taking it to a jeweler who can use a harder, stronger kind of solder and is familiar with metals other than the ones we ordinarily work with?

mc wrote:

For the cost of hiring a jeweler to fix the frames, it's quite likely he could buy a new set of glasses.
Anthony

Have you priced prescription glasses recently? I wear a progressive lens with anti-glare coating and darkening lenses. Typical price is about $400. $500 at one place I checked. Actual cost is probably $20 in material.
What's a good right wing Republican like you doing with Progressive glasses? That's just another word for liberal, you know.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

You keep reading all the street signs. The signs, you read them for about thirty to sixty seconds, and they all leave you wondering what you just read? Like the street sign that used to say "Main" and "State" which now says that "we are very concerned about making sure that people make the right choices. Which is why Hillary! has proposed an immediate $50 million increase in spending to study the matter of helping people to choose the right street at this intersection".
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

True, but the OP could use the original lenses in new frames. There's no law that says a frame and lenses must be sold together.
Shawn Hirn wrote:

They keep changing frame shapes to prevent that (more profits). The lenses may be perfectly fine, but it's very likely you won't find new frames of the same size and shape if it's more than a year or two old.
Pete C. wrote:

When my mother's frames broke, the first shop we went to said they didn't have frames to fit her lenses, but they could do both frames and lenses. When I said we go someplace else, it was amazing how fast they found a pair of frames that fit.
Marsha/Ohio

There are too many factors to be able to argue the point. For instance, if the lens is small, and it's a bifocal prescription, trimming it might remove too much of one of the focal "zones". It all depends....
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
didn't

I understand that it's not easy to fit frames on lenses, but just the fact that they said they didn't have frames to fit, without even looking, and then miraculously finding them AFTER we said we going elsewhere was a little suspicious to me.
Marsha/Ohio