Soldering Copper Pipes

Well, I have just completed my first job, installing soldered shutoffs in two water lines lines so that I can renovate my powder room. I had no leaks when I turned the water back on. My question is this, if it is holding now, how confident could I feel about the job?

Reply to
Ultraglide

Done properly it should last forever. It is extremely rare that a fitting will break or leak after time, but I've seen it happen, both in industrial settings. .

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Thanks.

Reply to
Ultraglide

I have found that some of the fluxes for the new lead-free solders can give a delayed reaction. I had several tight joints that did NOT leak for two days, and then started dripping even one with a two foot squirt that erupted on the third day. I think the flux burned in the joint and hardened when it cooled down but water pressure finally pushed out the thick flux over a few days resulting in a leak.

Reply to
EXT

Fortunately the shutoff is in the unfinished part of the basement. I'll keep an eye on it for the next while.

Reply to
Ultraglide

From my experience soldering not only plumbing, but copper piping in vacuum systems is that if the surfaces were well cleaned and fluxed and if the solder flows quickly on its own around and into the joint it won't leak and I assume never pop apart. Key is practice and applying the heat so all surfaces are just above the melting point of the solder. Over heating can also cause problems. A lot of this is experience and having feel for it.

Reply to
Jeff

Reply to
Phil Munro

I soldered 91 joints when I renovated my bathroom three years ago and it was my first time to do it. None leaked initially or since then. I was meticulous about cleaning the pipe and fittings before I soldered. Think you'll be ok if you are careful.

Frank

Reply to
Frank Boettcher