Solder or crimp ??

This article says soldering is less desirable than crimps for Anderson Power Pole terminals.

I was taught that soldering is far better than crimp. What's your thoughts?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

With the proper tools the crimp seems to be the best. After a while the atoms in the wire and the connector will fuse together somewhat.

If you can not use the proper crimping tool then solder.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

A lot depends on your crimper and the terminal you are using. A good crimp is better about not breaking from vibration

Reply to
gfretwell

Hi, If properly done. Ever looked at crimped or solder connection under hi power magnifier?

Reply to
Tony Hwang

The way I read the article he's talking about ONLY crimp versus ONLY solder. Not crimp first then solder, which is what I do if I'm looking for a belt and suspenders solution. That said, I've read in the past that a PROPERLY crimped connection does not need to be soldered, the kind of crimp powerful crimping machines can make in a manufacturing facility. The crimps I do at home, even with a decent hand crimper tool, I don't consider the same quality as a factory crimp. But many of those home crimps have lasted years and years with no trouble...

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

WHAT???? Solder will work for a connection that does not move, but for a connection that moves crimping is more desireable as the wire will not break as easily. Crimping is generally more desirable for most electrical connections.

Reply to
woodchucker

In aircraft wiring it is crimp only - no solder because solder wicking back the wire stiffens the wire, and any flex gets concentrated at that point - breaking the wire.

Reply to
clare

Correct, that's exactly what the article is about.

A properly crimped connection doesn't need to be soldered if that joint will never be stressed, if that joint will never be subjected to moisture or vibration, if that joint will not be subjected to a corrosive environment, if that joint is in a terminal that solder will prevent the terminal from seating properly in its' housing, if that joint...

There are a few more if's but I think you get the point. The biggest "if" is being properly crimped. Unless it is done under controlled conditions that will frequently not happen.

In the harnesses I designed for earth moving equipment for about 30 years all connections were crimped and soldered except the joints that solder would prevent the terminal from seating properly in its' housing. And that is exactly what I still do at home.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

I have a ratcheting type crimp tool and have used low temperature silver on crimped connectors if I'm worried about moisture wicking into the stranded wire plus heat shrink that has the hot melt sticky stuff on the inside. Regular heat shrink tubing makes a good strain relief on the wire crimped into a connector because it prevents a sharp 90° bend in the wire crimped into the connector when it's put under stress. The most important thing, don't nick the wire when you strip the insulation off of it. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

You gotta be smokin' some good shit!

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

Just know what I am talking about. Here for a beter explination if you care.

Ralph Mowery

While personal preference plays a large part in this choice, it is perhaps worth noting that autombile and truck manufacturers, aircraft manufacturers, and even aerospace industry, including the space shuttle builders among others, all crimp rather than solder their wire connectors and terminals.

Reply to
Larry W

Think of it as arc welding, only a heck of a lot slower.

Reply to
Todd

Despite the agreement from posters in general, line by line, the url reads like a satire to me.

20 years ago I bought a selection of crimp connectors from J.C Whitney on sale for about 8 dollars. Maybe 18 different kinds and sizes totally 200 connectors For 8 dollars. 4 cents a piece.

Came with a crimping tool, which I use,

Am I to believe that the quality of the connectors is sufficient to make a crimp? With cheap connectors, soldering sounds better to me.

Reply to
micky

A good crimp is good. How do you verify a good crimp ? Made with proper tool ? Questionable in bad environments too. I've fixed far too many crimps by soldering.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

Not looked at either, under magnifier. I've done both, with small terminals. Haven't soldered since I was a teen, but I was taught that soldering was preferred. I actually crimp, and then heat it up and solder. Well, I used to.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I use crimp on lugs (up to about 14 gage stranded) so it's a decision I get to make. Most of the time, I am not near a soldering iron. It's good to hear that properly done crimps are as good or better. Thanks to all who took the time to reply.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Now, I'm not disappointed. i figured TDD would mention the one thing, most important, which everyone else missed. Good job, mate.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

As I may have mentioned I just retired from Enersys-Delaware which is a major manufacturer of industrial batteries and I was in close contact with the engineers at Anderson as we used their connectors exclusively.

Crimping is preferred to soldering. Just make sure you get a good crimp. Most of their contacts require two crimps.

Soldering is acceptable but you must absolutely insure you do not splash any solder on the mating portion of the contacts. Since the contact are silver plated, solder will degrade the connection.

Link here:

philo

That was an interesting article written by a knowledgeable author. However, it didn't say anything different from what I said farther down in this thread. He may have said it more eloquently though.

The one thing that was definitely not said was any mention of atoms fusing. That was why I commented about your smoking habits.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway