Solder or crimp ??

Page 1 of 6
This article says soldering is less desirable than crimps for Anderson Power Pole terminals.
http://www.survivalblog.com/2013/12/letter-re-anderson-powerpoles-the-legos-of-dc-electronics.html
I was taught that soldering is far better than crimp. What's your thoughts?
--
.
Christopher A. Young

With the proper tools the crimp seems to be the best. After a while the atoms in the wire and the connector will fuse together somewhat.
If you can not use the proper crimping tool then solder.
On 12/28/2013 7:20 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

WHAT???? Solder will work for a connection that does not move, but for a connection that moves crimping is more desireable as the wire will not break as easily. Crimping is generally more desirable for most electrical connections.

--
Jeff

On Sat, 28 Dec 2013 19:20:38 -0500, "Ralph Mowery"

You gotta be smokin' some good shit!

Just know what I am talking about. Here for a beter explination if you care.
http://www.audioholics.com/audio-video-cables/crimping-and-soldering
On 12/28/2013 08:33 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

Think of it as arc welding, only a heck of a lot slower.
--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
the riddle wrapped in an enigma wrapped
On 12/29/2013 12:59 AM, Todd wrote:

Oh yea, really why? Arc welding is the melting of metal and making it flow to join two or more metals.
Where is crimping anywhere like that. Crimping does not change the wire or crimp.
--
Jeff

So is crimping.

It does change both.

A "good" crimp CAN be a virtual weld.
On Sat, 28 Dec 2013 23:33:01 -0500, "Ralph Mowery"

That was an interesting article written by a knowledgeable author. However, it didn't say anything different from what I said farther down in this thread. He may have said it more eloquently though.
The one thing that was definitely not said was any mention of atoms fusing. That was why I commented about your smoking habits.

Well smoke on this for a while.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cold_welding
I just gave a very simple version.
On 12/28/2013 11:33 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

I did not see anything like what you said in that article. Plus writers are like A-Holes, they all have opinions and bias. Being a writer doesn't make them right.

--
Jeff

On Sat, 28 Dec 2013 21:06:37 -0600, Gordon Shumway

What's your issue? What he said is perfectly correct. Crimping is better but only if it's done *right*. We often do both (crimp, then solder) because we don't have the proper tools for all of the connectors we use. Usually the stuff only has to last a few weeks of light usage, though. I'd never do it for anything safety related or has to last decades, though.
Per snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz:

The comment Clare@Snyder.... made about solder wicking back up the wire and stiffening it rings true to me - because that's where the two failures I've experienced happened: about a quarter inch up the wire from the actual joint.
--
Pete Cresswell

It's all part of AC43.13-1b
On 12/29/13, 2:28 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Haven't scrutinized this whole thread... but do know in aerospace crimping is preferred in most cases, but solder is both needed and used in some situations.
As a side note...
The above poster mentions AC43.13-1b... this is a publication put out by the FAA. The 'AC' stands for 'Advisory Circular'(even though in this case the printed version is a book). PDF copies are freely available for download from the FAA website, along with hundreds if not thousands of other advisory circulars & handbooks. Even though their main focus is aircraft, they contains loads excellent BS/advertizing free information.
For more wiring/soldering/crimping info, also go to NASA's site and find a PDF of:
NASA-STD-8739.4
It's also free. (If you have trouble finding it there, just Google it... it's all over the web) Like the FAA, NASA also has a ton of technical PDF's up... look through them while your there.
Erik
On Sat, 28 Dec 2013 19:08:06 -0500, Stormin Mormon

A lot depends on your crimper and the terminal you are using. A good crimp is better about not breaking from vibration
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Hi, If properly done. Ever looked at crimped or solder connection under hi power magnifier?
On 12/28/2013 7:53 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

Not looked at either, under magnifier. I've done both, with small terminals. Haven't soldered since I was a teen, but I was taught that soldering was preferred. I actually crimp, and then heat it up and solder. Well, I used to.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

True. Both can be easily screwed up. All those pins in a D-connector are crimped and I've seen 'em last decades. OTOH, I'll solder the lugs to my car or golf cart battery. Big stranded cable crimps are prone to corrosion, more so than small stranded wire. As always, the correct crimper is a must. Those Amp pin crimpers can be damned expensive, but they do the job.
nb