solar well pump?

We just bought property with a well on it but no pump or holding tank. Someone suggest a solar pump. I googled a little but I just don't know enough to understand what I found.
Can anyone put it in simple terms for me? Are these efficient? Cost effective? How are they different from electric pumps in performance, if at all?
Thanks much.
Maxi
Email addy upon request.
you might read some & ask here.. http://www.wind-sun.com/forum/index.php http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/energy /