Solar Powered Attic Fans ; good investment and reliable ???

Can anyone speak of the reliability of solar powered attic fans ? I can buy one for $217.00 in Lowes and live in an area where electricity is pretty high. A comparable electric Attic Fan is $70.00 . Each comes with a 5 year warranty . Thanks.
Add pictures here
✖
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Proper passive venting will probably work better and be more dependable.
I've never seen much positive here about solar powered fans.
Add pictures here
✖
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Solar hot water is often a good deal and passive solar heating helps.
Solar-electric anything is a bad investment.
Check here for the skinny on solar fans (but it's a competitive site, so take with a grain of salt) http://www.savenrg.com/venting.htm
If one's motivation is to help the environment, it's often better to buy the "wasteful" alternative and donate the difference to the Plant an Owl Society.
Add pictures here
✖

One calculation you could make is to figure out how long an equivalent fan would have to run to consume the $217-70= $147 worth of electricity. That is what you are paying for up front. I'll bet it's quite a long time because the solar fans are not very powerful. Balance that against the probability that the solar fan lasts that long. I'd also bet the $70 regular fan moves a lot more air.
In general, I believe passive attic venting is best, ie good soffit venting together with a ridge vent.
Add pictures here
✖
Passive venting does nothing. The regular fan with a thermostat will be far better
On Apr 3, 8:32 am, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

Add pictures here
✖
On Sat, 4 Apr 2009 05:22:18 -0700 (PDT), Big Jim

I don't know where you got that notion, but it's wrong. If you have soffit vents and a ridge vent done properly, it will be far more effective than any fan you install. It's not even close.
Add pictures here
✖
Keep kidding yourself, Hot humid air will go nowhere without help
On Apr 4, 1:53 pm, snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

Add pictures here
✖
On Sat, 4 Apr 2009 11:02:49 -0700 (PDT), Big Jim

Didn't they have schools where you grew up? Seriously.

Add pictures here
✖
snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

OTOH, I think there's room for both, at least here in Texas, where convection alone is strapped to keep up.
✖
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Hi, What is the rating and spec.?
Add pictures here