Solar panels-practical???

Page 3 of 3

snipped-for-privacy@mail.uri.edu says...

Where are you going to get: - 9.6hours per day * 365 days - 40% efficiency - 4,000 sq. KM. - The money to manufacture the above

What's it cost to make the cells? How much energy? What about the distribution system to where the consumers are?
--
Keith

Not to mention that the manfacture of solar cells is considered to be one of the "filthiest" industrial processes around--on par w/ most chemical mfr'g plants.
--
------
Mr. P.V.\'d (formerly Droll Troll), Yonkers, NY

Ah, come on! THere is no reason to pile on! THe idiot thinks he has all the answers, let him put his money where is mouth is!
--
Keith

HeyBub wrote:

They could use all that electricity to power the lights they put under the solar-cell canopy to replace the sunlight. :)
Oh, hell, I just gave some politician an idea.
--
"A man\'s country is not a certain area of land, of mountains, rivers, and
woods, but it is a principle; and patriotism is loyalty to that principle."
On Sun, 12 Nov 2006 15:09:58 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (---MIKE---) wrote:

If you're that far north, you want the panels mounted steeper than your roof probably is, anyway. Between that, the fact that they're glass-smooth, and that they're generally warmer than a roof would be, I doubt you'd have all THAT much trouble with snow-built up. But if you don't like that, whats wrong with a roof-mounted windmill?
Than you have to keep the panels clean so they can use what sunlight falls upon them. Many homeowners don't like washing windows so I doubt you will see many on there roofs washing the solar panels. In A Popular Science I read recently there was A wind generator for the home. It cost around 20K installed as I remember. It seems A more viable alternative than solar panels in the generation of electricity and at least you don't have to clean it!
H.R. "Where, exactly, am I going and why am I in this hand basket?"
On Mon, 13 Nov 2006 11:41:06 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote:

But once a day you have to pick up all of the dead songbirds.
Karl S wrote:

More like once a year you'll have to pick up the dead songbird (singular).
Don't buy into the ignorant NIMBY propaganda.
Pete C.
no-spam-ak.net says...

Songbirds aren't as tough to clean up as the hawks. ;-)
--
Keith

The real problem is when the Ninth Federal District Court gets wind of this... -- Oren
snipped-for-privacy@home.yes.us says...

Well, you got me there! The Ninth-Circus is far to the left of Nancy Pelosi. ...&deity. help us.
--
Keith

Not A problem! My neighbors cats will take care of any dead bird clean up. Now all I gotta do is sucker the good tax payers of Minnesota into paying for the thing and I can hear the cash register bells ringing now!
Good Luck! H.R. "A liberal is someone who feels A great debt to his fellow man,A debt which he proposes to pay off with your money" G. Gordon Liddy

There are good places for solar. And good places for wind. It depends on the local climate.
Bob