Solar cells to charge battery? How?

I use a deep-discharge backup battery I keep on a charger and a 12v light and fan during power outages. So far no problems.

But someone got me thinking thinking, what if the battery runs down? Put a solar cell or several out in the sun and use them to charge during the day. What do I need to do this? Where can I conveniently buy the cell and other stuff locally? Home Depot or Lowes? No urgency or I'd Google for this, storm season is about over, but for the future.

TIA

Reply to
KenK

How big is the battery? What's the load on it when the sun shines? How fast do you want it to charge in winter? Where do you live?

Bottom line is that it makes no sense to try to quick charge a battery that you rarely use. Cost far exceeds benefit.

Key phrase is "So far no problems."

If it ain't broke...

Reply to
mike

I have a charge controller I found on eBay. Nothing more than a constatnt voltage supply, with temperature sensed battery. The charge voltage is adjustable. Something like 13.8 volt nominal. Got two HF panels.

Greg

Reply to
gregz