Software for landlords

I regularily take pictures of dirt and damage left behind by tenants. One of the hassles I have to deal with is resizing all of the pictures I submit to the government of Manitoba to get approval to withhold part of the tenant's damage deposit to pay for the cleaning or damages. The photo files straight out of the camera are far too large to see on a computer screen, so I have to resize them all to 1024 X 768 pixels so that they fit on one screen.

Tomorrow, GlarySoft is offering a batch photo resizing program for free, and I intend to download it.

If anyone also has to resize large numbers of photos, the web site to find the program is here:

'Giveaway - Glarysoft'

Also, today they're giving away MovieSaver4 which is a program which allows you to simply copy and paste the URLs of movies (.wmv, .mp4, .flv and other formats) into a list, and the program will download them in the order they're listed in. I've downloaded this program already, but haven't used it so I don't know how good it is, or what it's limitations are.

Reply to
nestork

For batch resizing and renaming there is a free program that does much more called Irfanview. It will view many types of files.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

In news: snipped-for-privacy@diybanter.com, nestork belched:

if you're using XP or 7, there are powertoys that will do it with just a right click of the mouse

ChairMan

On Wed, 4 Jun 2014 18:34:29 -0400, "Ralph Mowery" wrote in

+1 for Irfanview
Reply to
CRNG

I think all the cameras I've had allowed you to change the settings for picture size. Just pick a smaller picture size so you don't need to bother with the resizing.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

can't you change you camera settings to take pictures at 1024 x 768?

Reply to
Pico Rico

Since you know what the photo is used for, why not set the camera to take a smaller size to start?

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Is Irfanview free?

I can change the camera settings to take pictures with lower resolution, but I don't think there's a setting to take pictures at 1024 X 768 pixels.

Since I'll have to change the photo size anyway, I prefer taking pictures on the highest resolution so that when I take pictures of other stuff, I have the highest resolution picture I can get. Also, having the highest resolution pictures allows me to zoom in and blow up a portion of the picture to 1024 to 768 pixels if I want to highlight something in the picture. Also, I never know when I'm taking pictures whether the tenant is going to complain about how much I withheld from his/her damage deposit. That's because the tenant can file a complaint about how much I charged against his damage deposit weeks or even months after vacating. But, I have to clean up the apartment to rent it to the next tenant. So, I have to archive pictures of dirt and damage after each and every tenant vacates, and using 1024 X 768 is a good compromize between photo resolution and economy. I can pack a lot of 1024 X 768 pictures on a CD, but only a fraction of that number if each photo takes up 4 or 5 megabytes.

I like Chairman's idea of the Windows XP power toys. I will try that application next time I have to resize a batch of pictures.

Reply to
nestork

It's the fastest and easiest i have found to resize pictures. All it does is add "resize picture" to your right click options. You can make them small(640 x 480), medium(800x600) large(1024x768) Handheld(240x320) or you can customize the size. Great little power toy

Reply to
ChairMan

On Thu, 5 Jun 2014 06:24:32 +0200, nestork wrote in

Yes.

CRNG