softener trouble

8 yr old kenmore softener - not softening - ran diagnostics seems fine, water in brine tank, put in brining mode, unplugged and too 6 hrs for about 18 inches of water to drain off. Cleaned everything, greased caskets, checked resin tank, resin seemed fine, but tank was full of freezing cold water. We only have unit hooked to hot water heater. Any suggestions where to go from here? -------------------------------------
##-----------------------------------------------## Delivered via http://www.thestuccocompany.com/ Building Construction and Maintenance Forum Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - alt.home.repair - 342259 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##
lclmbo10 wrote:

Hi, What did you clean? Took apart control head? Apparently it is not sucking up the brine water in recharging mode. I had to buy a rebuild kit from Sears and rebuild control head. Mine is over 10 years old.

My experience with Kenmore softeners (admitedly on a sample size of 1) is that the siphon valve wears out. It's a rubber like disc with a very small water path. Surprised the heck out of me that they would make a part so subject to wear in such a soft material, but there you go.
If you very carefully take the siphon valve assembly apart - you'll need the parts drawing, but it's to the left of the timer/main valve and clean/replace that disc, you may get the unit working again.
On 25 Feb 2009 13:50:41 GMT, mlel4_at_yahoo_dot snipped-for-privacy@foo.com (lclmbo10) wrote:

A venturi of some sort, normally removable creates the vacuum that draws the brine through the system. Have you cleaned this venturi and any strainer that may also be removable and cleanable in the valve?
Additionally at the bottom of the brine pick up tube there should be a strainer that may be plugged. Is the bottom of the brine tank caked with solid salt or dirt?
Is the vacuum line ( brine line) sealed so that it can keep a vacuum?

If it's not sucking in brine, then you probably need to buy a new rotor disc and seal kit. That's how I fixed mine when it wouldn't draw in brine. Works fine now. Either get the parts from Sears, or I have had great service from http://www.softenerparts.zoovy.com/category/2600.sears/