Soft Type L Copper: OK for Shower Hot Water?

I'm replacing the shower only 2-handle faucet fixture and since the plumbing is 43 years old I'd like to replace the very green hot and cold water 1/2" copper supply lines to it at the same time. Is the rolled Soft Type L copper pipe which Home Depot sells OK for hot water? The pipe I need to replace is in the shower wall, not in concrete. Total length is about 5 feet for each line.
Larry wrote:

Yes. Excellent choice.
Jim

Why do you have to use soft rolled? Solid type M with fittings is how you should do it in a wall

This is Turtle.
You are fixing to work his gutts out with type M for If my memory is right M does not come in Soft.
TURTLE

you
heviest gauge Green stripe)

anyway that's how I would do it, but I'm just a plumber so what do I know?

right
this is Turtle.
You get paid to work your guts out but us candy asses don't like to.
TURTLE

this is Turtle.
Type L Soft will last a good amount of time like 30+ years. Now Type K soft will out last you for sure 50+ years. Type L is made for air conditioning freon lines and K is made for plumbing and long lasting air conditioning freon lines from leaks , for K is thicker. .
Now type L will do anything type K will do and holding up to a beating or vibration.
TURTLE
The reason I want to use a soft copper pipe, like Type L, is that there is a big 2" steel vent pipe in the way. I need to either bend the new pipe behind the vent, or use a bunch of elbows if I have to use a rigid copper pipe.

Go ahead and use it. My mom's house is plumbed in all soft copper. It was plumbed that way 20+ years ago and has held up well. The reason it was plumbed with soft copper is that it is built on a "crawl" space which is so low nobody could crawl through it. So all the supply lines were pulled through with an electricians fish tape. Greg

this is Turtle.
Like Greg said , hey the L soft does a good job just like K but a hair thinner.
TURTLE
you mean K is a bit *thicker*, right? M is the thinnest, often used in 3/4" to ~1 1/4" sizes for hot water heating systems where the pressure's low below 20 psi or so, but yea, if you can't get hard drawn L there than K coil will do it. Slide unslit insulation over it too when you install it.

3/4"
coil
This is Turtle.
I can only speak of Copper tubing used by HVAC / R peoples. We use L copper for freon lines with pressure up to 500+ psi. it is rated above this but this is the working pressures we use or think of it as. If i'm installing HVAC equipment bigger than 5 tons or Refrigeration systems , i will use Type K Soft or hard for to get a thicker and more duriable tubing to hold up to the bad treatment of these systems. Now to Type M awwwww Never used it.
Now there is suppose to be a difference between refrigeration copper and plumbing copper. don't know for i've only used refrigeration copper from my warehouse and never investigate the difference.
TURTLE