Soft siding behind deck leger board-remove-repair?

I am getting ready to sell my house. Doing routine inspection and repairs. The siding behind deck, 1 board is soft. I know an inspector will note this. Short of ripping the deck out, pretty much out of the question, deck is 32' long. What would be a suitable solution. I know the proper method would be to put flashing WHEN it was built, but I am the 2nd owner. Suggestions? Thanks

Reply to
casey

get some estimates, they might have some good ideas.wonder if the moisture has damaged the undelying area and insulation?

your probably better off to hire your own home inspector, and fix what you can DIY.

Otherwise the BUYERS home inspector will REQUIRE professional repairs with paid receipts for every little thing:(

some buyers will be satisfied with a sellers home inspection, saving them money and you grief

Reply to
hallerb

Reply to
casey

thats a tough one without seeing it. is the deck ledger on top of the siding? does the decking run parallel to the house? then maybe you remove the first deck board, cut the siding off above the deck and tuck a piece of Z flashing under the siding and over the deck ledger. that would prevent further rot and even if more flashing was exposed than ideal, it would be better than current situation.

Reply to
marson

That is what I was thinking- one of those Aw Shits for which there is no painless easy solution, especially if the underlying sheathing and band joist is also rotten. Cut away or remove enough decking to get access, Sawzall or chisel away all the rot, and piece it back in as best you can. If you have to cut perpendicular deck boards off at the first joist, you can maybe disguise it with a bench. Depending on how deck is framed, and how ledger board is attached, OP may be able to unbolt it from house, and fine-tune reality a tad, flexing the entire deck structure over enough to get the rotten siding board out of there. Leastways, a lot of the decks I have known had that much flex available- ledger boards were used to keep a minimal structure stiff enough. All this is a good example of why good flashing and ledger board standoffs are considered good workmanlike practice. The water has to have an escape route.

aem sends...

Reply to
ameijers