Sofits, Gutters and Facia Question

I have a question on sofit, facia and gutter replacement. I have been getting quotes from different folks on replacing all with aluminum. Does this kind of job involve complete removal of existing wood sofit and facia replacing it with aluminum? No wood backing anyplace or some behind the new facia? Would any painting or surface preparation/painting be required to any wood left?

Dave

Reply to
DS

They will just cover up rotted wood unless contract says otherwise. And even if contract says otherwise I would stay home and watch to make sure. A friend was ripped off.

required to

Reply to
Art Begun

Yes, I agree with Art.

This replacement job is done and sometimes creates new problems. I know someone who had old soffits covered up...which promoted mold growth and which was unseen for years.

Not sure how the group feels but I am facing similar work. I will take advantage of the opportunity to significantly increase soffit venting in old wooden soffits, and also I will opt for continuous vented soffits.

Also I will take advantage of removing the 'way overpacked insulation' presently sitting jammed into my soffits. You may also want to explore this possibility as it is very common mistake in attics.

Staying home for the project to see what's there now, and what they do is a very good idea.

Reply to
Louis McEniry

Forget the Aluminium over the fascias use the new Azek plastic wood. It looks way better and lasts forever. Comes in all the sizes 1 inch pine comes in and is only twice the price.

Reply to
Randd01