soffit vents above windows

Can somebody tell me if it's okay to put soffit vents above windows or not? (by over I mean in the eave that overhangs a window in a ranch style home). My husband says it's okay and past messages of this group has said it's okay or there is some Uniform Builder's Code regulation (which I could not find on-line) that says it isn't.
Where can I find out for sure? If I called the city building department, would they tell me?
Thanks,
Janet

not?
home).
you say you saw here where others said its ok. your husband says its ok. why do you need another answer? if you dont trust the other answers why would you trust me when i say you should put one there?

call and ask...???
im not sure if this is a troll or not.. very odd post...
randy
You are venting unconditioned attic air, so why not.
Janet wrote:

I can't speak for building codes, but I once had a house with a big attic fan and soffit vents over the windows. When the fan was on with the windows open (as they had to be to provide incoming air) attic air was being recirculated through the house. My suggestion is to *not* have soffit vents near openable windows.
If possible, I try not to put soffit vents over windows or doors--just because they don't look good. However, there is no regulation related to their placement.

Bruce A.& B.Construction Houston, Texas www.1-866-Roof-Men.com

Thanks for the responses. There is one room on the west side of house that gets really hot (the other rooms are confortable). We do have an attic fan (on the east side), but we're pretty sure there's not enough intake area (right now gable vents and 1 soffit vent that was a trial). I'm not sure there's any place that the vents would look good, but if it's not above the windows, we'll have to put in less to keep it symmetrical. Plus if we don't put one over the west most window, the next place is getting really close to the gutter.
A couple of years ago when we first thought about doing this, I could have sworn there were some messages about code requiring vents not being over windows, but I can't seem to find them now. We will try to put them away from the windows anyway.
I did call the city building department, but the line was either busy or I got a secretary that didn't know.

I can't believe there is such a code at least around my area (Will County, Illinois) because they sell continuous vent as well as the individual ones.
Janet wrote:

1. You can't have too many soffit vents.
2. Put 'em everywhere - including over the windows.

All the new homes I've seen being built use continuous ones that go right across the whole house, including windows. Those together with a ridge vent are the best solution, IMO.
I'd suggest the following soffit venting system. It's a new product that far exceeds older individual vents.
http://www.tamlyn.com/literatures/better%20ventilation.pdf
Pj