Soffit vents?

Hi, I was wondering how many/how far apart I should place soffit vents? My uppermost soffit is 30' long.
Thanks...
I would put as many as you can, some are continuous, and be sure to have roof vents as well, right!
Mike Coonrod
Me too. wrote:

I'd put at least one for each rafter bay. Depending on their size. according to my obsolete references, your total ventilating area(cross section) after accounting for any grillwork, should be 1/300 of the roof area to be ventilated, evenly split between soffit and ridge venting.
If the rafters are 16" apart, then that's around 1 sq. inch of ventilation for every 37.5 liniar inches of rafter?
So, if a 2" round hole covered by screening has an open area of around 5 square inches, that's good for a 16" rafter bay between 15 and 16 feet long.