Soffit Replacement

OK, another question.
I have a house which is prone to ice damming. The soffits are wood, with some soffit vents. I was considering replacing it with vinyl. I have seen vinyl soffit with tiny holes throughout, like the entire this is a vent. This appeals to me in that it would keep the roof well-ventillated, but I don't know if it is a good idea.
I am considering doing this myself, although I have never done it before.
My questions:
Is the completely vented soffit a good idea?
Can someone provide some links which will give me some direction in choice of material and installation? I am unable to find exactly what I am seeking.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Sure.
But I worry about "tiny" holes. Do the holes, taken in aggregate, approximate the "holes" you now have? You should be able to find out what percentage of the proposed material is "hole."

The soffit I am talking about essentially looks like the whole piece is a vent, if that makes sense. The overall "opening" as an aggrgate would far exceed what I have now. I'm wondering if that's a good idea.
My thought was to possibly attach screening material behind it, much like you see on vents you buy, so as to avoid small bugs that can fit through the holes, although I don't know if its necessary.
On Tue, 07 Aug 2007 09:13:33 -0700, " snipped-for-privacy@aol.com"

That's because you now only have a few areas with holes, right? Not because the holes in the vinyl are bigger than the holes in whatever you have now?

AFAIK, you can't have too much opening there.

I'm no judge but the townhouses here were built with windows screening -- I forget if it is vinyl or aluminum -- the whole width of the house, front and back, about 4 inches wide.
If you are going to put screening behind it, maybe all you need is the screening? Not it.
In Baltimore and wouldn't have ice damning anyhow, I think.
on 8/7/2007 12:13 PM snipped-for-privacy@aol.com said the following:

Not necessary. They'll get in another way, if they want.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Sure is. You can't have too much soffit venting.

If you like. The mesh will diminish the area available for venting.
on 8/7/2007 10:30 AM snipped-for-privacy@aol.com said the following:

Here you go! A complete manual for vinyl siding installation. Go to Page 33 for soffit installation. http://www.vinylsiding.org/publications/Installation_Manual_english.pdf
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

My house has vented aluminum soffit all the way around, gabled ends and everything. Too much? Nope, it dosen't hurt a thing.