Soffit baffles

Would cardboard be adequate for protecting the soffits from cellulose insulation?

I sure wouldn't use cardboard, which I suspect, like most paper products, would deteriorate in the high temp attic over time. And why would you want to anyway, when ready made baffles are readibly avail at home centers and are inexpensive?