Socket wrench sets: SAE or Metric?

Page 3 of 6
On 10/22/2015 3:02 PM, Don Y wrote:

For now, looks like two wrench sets in each vehicle. Thanks for the wisdom.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

Outboards too if they are not "pure". Yamaha is metric but Merc, OMC/Bombardier and others "assembled in the US" are not. Offshore parts will be metric and US parts will usually be SAE.
One good thing about having both is when you are driving a socket on to remove a bolt that is corroded so bad the "right socket" won't work, you have more choices.
On Thu, 22 Oct 2015 13:59:28 -0400, Stormin Mormon

You need 2 sets, and for the metric set it depends what vehicle you are working on and where the set originates. Some vehicles only use 8,10,12,15,17,19,21 and 24 Others use 8,11,13,16,18, and 22 Others use other combinations. A "full" metric set includes everyrhing from 8mm to 28mm.
Then there are the oddball aplications (have not run across them in automotive) that use decimal sized metrics - like 5.5
You don't need 2 of each ratchet or extension as all metric sockes (at least in the north american market) use 1/4, 3/8, or 1/2 inch drives for light to medium duty use, and 3/4 or 1 inch for HD use
On 10/22/2015 4:30 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Today I bought one eaches HF quarter inch drive metric set, that goes to 13 MM. Will get me in and out of most of my repair needs. Surely would have done good for the windshield wiper repair yesterday.
See if that set goes on sale, buy a set for the other vehicle.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

If you are only going to have one set, make it a 3/8". You can always use an adapter down to 1/4 for the smaller sizes (10mm and smaller)- 1/4" reatchets etc are designed for low torque - generally no more than 20 ft lb (240 in lb)
On 10/22/2015 6:15 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I've been very pleased with the 1/3 drive sets for most jobs. Though, I do have larger available if needed.
My other job is refrigeration repair, and the SAE quarter drive set is handy for changing fan motors on smaller equipment. And for many tasks for larger equipment, also.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On Thursday, October 22, 2015 at 6:26:03 PM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Does HF have a coupon for the 1/3 drive sets?
On 10/22/2015 6:49 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Yep, they go on sale 1/3 off, now and again.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

Most current "american" cars are fully metric, but they use the oddball 13mm and 11mm etc that are almost identical to SAE sises (1/2 and 11/16) as well as the unique metrics like 10 and 12
On 10/22/2015 4:32 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I see 10 MM every which where, and it doesn't work with any of the SAE sizes. Is there a list on the web, which sizes convert?
13 MM is slightly larger than 1/2 inch, but some looser sockets will work.
10 MM, doesn't work with anything out of my SAE box.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

Yup I have a 10mm in my SAE set, because of that. You see metric stuff pop up in the strangest places. The other strange one is 7mm I have a slip handle nut driver that came with 1/4" and 5/16 " and used to open just about anything with hex sheet metal screws.
I ended up getting another one, cutting off the 1/4" and adding a 7mm. 5/16 and 8mm are functionally the same. If you have that and a 10mm socket, you can do just about anything you are going to do with a Yamaha mid range outboard on the water.

I was able to get a couple 10 mm sockets, and put in with my English sets. Got tired of looking around to find one in another tool box.
The other sizes, well, don't see them quite as often.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 10/22/2015 05:25 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

That would be you SAE sets. The British Whitworth fasteners are another perversion.

Watch it, you will have people talking about BA soon. I know a 2 BA is ~5/16 but that is about it.

As was the BSF. Different wrench for fine thread than for coarse.
On 10/22/2015 03:56 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

http://www.carolynrelei.com/inchchart.htm
On 10/22/2015 9:18 PM, rbowman wrote:

Thank you. I should print that out, and put in each tool box.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
On Thu, 22 Oct 2015 17:56:57 -0400, Stormin Mormon

It won't. Just type "convert 10mm to inches" into Google.
On 10/22/2015 7:18 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Shirtcuff estimate: 2.5mm = .1 inches So, 10mm ~= .4 inches (it's actually .3937) 3/8" = .375 1/2" = .500 so 7/16 is the only "standard" SAE size that would be possible choice. But, it's .4375 (split the difference between 3/8 and 1/2) so no fit.
You also have to consider how you're converting. I.e., you can (sloppily) service a 3/8" bolt with a 10mm socket but can't service a 10mm bolt with a 3/8" socket.

What is the thread on a 2002 Ford Taurus wheel stud, and what is the size of the nut? (hint - neither one is measured in inches) How about Chrysler/Dodge from about 1978 and up? And Lincoln from 1988 on? They are not 3/4" AF nuts either - they are 19 mm - that's .05mm smaller than 3/4". And not 13/16, but 21mm. Just .63mm smaller than 13/16"
They use 12mm studs.