Socket wrench sets: SAE or Metric?

Page 1 of 6
Doing some vehicle work yesterday. SAE socket set won't work, becuae 10 MM is between 3/8 and 7/16. And 13 MM is between 1/2 and 9/16.
Suppose I buy metric socket set. Will I have the same problem workign on English size fasteners?
Do I need to wrench sets in each vehicle?
On Thu, 22 Oct 2015 13:59:28 -0400, Stormin Mormon

These days you need both to work on just about anything.

So true. I went to change a brake on a friend's wheel chair. Went out and got my socket set. Wonders, the nut needs 10 MM, and I didn't have one in my SAE set. That started a quest to find 10 MM sockets sold separately. HF has them, in deep, and 3/8 drive. Not much help with my 1/4 drive socket sets.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

Get on down to HF as they have a set on sell for 4.99. 3/8 inch ratchet and sockets. About the price of one good socket.
On 10/22/2015 6:58 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

Sadly, I was just in a HF earlier today. I'll have to check on that. I think I know the set you mean. Have on in the truck, but keep forgetting I have it.
There are few problems that cannot be solved with HF tools.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

I've got a few cheap socket sets floating around - or remnants of them. The sockets were crappy, and the ratchets were "knuckle busters" and I even twisted off a few extensions. Some were from India, some from China - and none cost over $15 new in a tin box.

I agree the quality is not there. They are good for people that seldom use tools, such as to put together some home items . Good to carry a set in the car just incase you need to do a simple repair.
Run across a hard to turn nut and some part of the set may give.
I just bought a HF chain saw sharpner for $ 30, a one similar to it sells at Northern Tool for aound $ 100 more. I may sharpen a chain twice a year and the sharpener works fine for that. If I was doing several a week, then probably beter to get the NT one. . Got the multimeter free with it. Checked it with my Fluke meter and it is with in tollorance. Good enough for the home owner and someone that may do some trouble shooting on equipment. Just don't think I would want to put it across some of the equipment where I worked that had 480 volt 3 phase and fused at 500 amps.
On Thu, 22 Oct 2015 23:23:56 -0400, "Ralph Mowery"

Not worth carrying in the car - gives false sense of security. Something goes wrong - no problem - I have tools - tool breaks and now you have bloody knuckles as well as a broken car.

As long as when it fails it does not fail dangerously that is a risk with no serious downside. You are not depending on it in an emergency.

On Fri, 23 Oct 2015 13:01:37 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I agree. Even dumber is when I hear people say they carry a cheap set of tools on the boat. You may only have one chance to get things going and if you round off a bolt with that cheap Harbor Fright wrench, you are in worse trouble than you were in before.
On Thu, 22 Oct 2015 18:04:14 -0400, Stormin Mormon

The pawn shop is the best place to get loose sockets. They usually have a big box of them for a buck each and usually you get a discount on more than a few. I put a whole set of name brand sockets together for $5 along with a few spares of the ones you use/lose a lot. I found out about that 10mm thing years ago when the commie metric thing was just catching hold here

Can't say as I've ever been in a pawn shop. Might be a good reason to try it.
I do agree about the commie metric thing.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

There is one right next to my barber shop. I always cruise through after getting a haircut, just to see what they have. You can usually get DVDs for a buck too but they seldom have anything I want to watch.

Just a SWAG, bet most of the pawn shop DVD are rated R, X, or XXX?
--
.
Christopher A. Young

Nope, they are ,mostly "action adventure" movies that nobody really cares about, mixed with everything from Disney to chick flicks.
On Thu, 22 Oct 2015 18:04:14 -0400, Stormin Mormon

certainly should have bought a 3/8" set.
On 10/22/2015 10:26 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Who can argue success? My quarter drive set(s) have seen a lot of use.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On Thursday, October 22, 2015 at 1:59:09 PM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Yes, you need both. Some are close enough that they work perfectly. For example, 32mm is extremely close to 1.25", so a 1.25" wrench that I already have works fine. Some are just about there. So, then it depends on how tight the bolt is and how lucky you feel today. Round it off, and you're screwed....
On 10/22/2015 2:06 PM, trader_4 wrote:

Is it half inch or 13 MM? Well, punk, I wasn't counting either. I guess the question is do you feel lucky, today?
--
.
Clint E. Young
On 10/22/2015 01:59 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Yes: until the USA catches up with the rest of the world, you'll need both.
Perce

Why is it "catching up" when SAE worked fine for 100 years or so? It's not like we had all kind of trouble with SAE sizes. And, to boot, we were here first. Metric is the upstart.
--
.
Christopher A. Young