Socket holders

I have this tool box:

It's a real pain to search through all of the sockets in the red removable tray to find the needed socket. Do you have suggestions as to how I can organize the sockets better?

I have these sockets:

SAE Drive Length Count Sizes

1/4 deep 6 7/16" --> 1/4" 3/8 deep 10 13/16" --> 3/8" 1/2 deep 6 13/16" --> 9/16" 1/4 standard 11 9/16" --> 5/32" 3/8 standard 17 3/4" --> 1/4" ========================================================== METRIC Drive Length Count Sizes 1/4 deep 6 12mm --> 6mm 3/8 deep 7 17mm --> 9mm 1/4 standard 12 14mm --> 6mm 3/8 standard 20 18mm --> 6mm 1/2 standard 6 21mm --> 9mm
Reply to
gary

Sears sells socket holders, as do most all tool outfits. I keep most of mine on the holders, but the commonly used ones I leave loose because I can recognize them on sight.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

See here:

DerbyDad03

I usually pick the right one, but I can pick it easily from a rail that has them ordered by size than when I have to dig around in all the other stuff to find a loose one.

Reply to
Wes Groleau

There certainly is. You can find out how by reading a thread on the subject from June, 2012.

Reply to
micky

I use these:

[image:

It's basically a bar with anywhere from 12 to 16 metal clips on it. The clips are 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2 inch square so that you can push a socket onto each clip going from smallest to largest.

And, I find that they work pretty good.

Get them with different handle colours if you have both 8 point and 12 point sockets as I do.

They also work well for other kinds of sockets, like impact sockets.

Reply to
nestork

nestork,

Did you happen to see my thread about your image links? You know that only the links show up in usenet newsreaders, not the images themselves, right?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Some cut.

Would painting help? There are paint markers available if you wanted to put the sizes on the most used ones. They look like a Sharpie. Maybe even color coding for the various drive sizes would help.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

DerbyDad:

I'm not using a usenet newsreader. I'm using Internet Explorer 8.0 to post on this board, and the images show up fine on my computer.

If you look "[IMG] code is On"

That means this web page is capable of displaying images in the text, so why not use that capability?

Try accessing this web page with any web browser and you should see the images, not just their URL's.

Reply to
nestork

On Sun, 14 Jul 2013 21:24:58 +0200, nestork wrote:

I used one of these for years, until I crushed it rolling over it with my van.

The socket rail on mine was full length. It carried a standard set

3/8" and 1/2" drive sockets, ratchets, breaker bars and extensions. Also held the combo wrenches. Some extra sockets like spark plug. Besides that it was no problem getting some pliers, vise-grips and screwdrivers in there. That rail is the easily the best method of containing and ordering sockets that I've seen. The problem I've encountered with sockets is the duplicates and variations you end up with. Long, normal, short, 6 and 12 point. Then double it all for metric. As it is I keep my Craftsman 1/2 3/8 1/4 set in the 3-drawer toolbox it came in. It's heavy as hell even without loading up the top compartment. Has the combo wrenches too, which get small use. It's also bulky, because the plastic inserts to hold the various tools are taking up space. All the other sockets are piled in another toolbox. If you're not using a roll-around tool chest or working near where you keep your tools, you have to give thought to weight, and what you're dragging around. When I come across the right shallow box, I'll fabricate it with a set of full length rails ala the box above to hold all my "extra" sockets. Another useful tool box is this:
Easy to make. Used to have one and it was very handy for taking longer tools to jobs. Wood and plumbing jobs and just about anything else. If you make the sides high enough you can tuck some power tools under the handle. You can make it very light, as mine was, by using 1/4" plywood for the sides. Now I generally use a 5-gallon pail, but long tools make it "tippy." .
Reply to
Vic Smith

Anyone using a usenet newsreader will not see you images, just the link.

In most cases it's OK, such as with Thunderbird, but the newsreader on my iPad doesn't like the ] at the end of the image link. As I mentioned before, that's not really your problem, I just thought I'd mention it. I don't know if any other newsreader have that same problem.

You keep saying "this web page" but I don't know what "web page" you are referring to because I am not using a browser.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I had some, didn't like them... the clips weren't made to tight enough tolerances so sockets would fall off of some and be damn near impossible to get off others. If they were made better they'd be good.

I like the Lisle magnetic socket holders myself. Expensive but I've had mine for probably 15 years, so it's proven to be worth it.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

This is _NOT_ a "board", it's a usenet group...

Because ahr is a usenet text group, not binaries and most newsservers won't host the binary, anyway.

At least have the courtesy to simply encapsulate the links w/ ; nntp will do a better job of not breaking them and other readers will be less likely to choke.

If the reader is interested he can always go to a browser but it's simply rude to expect the rest of the world to follow your use of nonstandard-conforming software...

Reply to
dpb

DPB:

I am more than willing to accomodate the people in this group that use usenet readers instead of browsers. You're saying I can do that by putting the character string:

.. ;

on each side of my image links? Is this correct?

Also will those people that are using web browsers still be able to see the images?

I simply feel that the ability to illustrate exactly what I'm talking about with an image is an important benefit to those people asking for advice.

Thanks

Reply to
nestork

No, not sure how that ended up in there; not what intended.

Use around the URL...that's conventional (and I think is what the RFC says but I didn't go look it up).

Possibly; at least they _should_ get a live link. Well, let's see--what do you see from

?

Well, again, if the audience doesn't know w/o and image, the link is all they need to go get it if they wish; meanwhile those who do know or are bandwidth-limited or who are simply using usenet _because_ it is a text medium w/o all the hoopla and often excessive use of bandwidth aren't unduly burdened.

Reply to
dpb

What's the problem? I click on the link if I want to see it. Are you saying images should always show up when I open a post? I don't want that.

Reply to
Vic Smith

No, I'm not saying I want the images to show. The issue is that nestork thought that we all saw them because he uses IE8 to post in a.h.r and he can see his images.

Accessing the images via a link is how most people using a usenet newsreader want to view them, if they want to view them.

I brought up the issue because the type of image links that IE8 creates - using [image: link URL] - causes problems with at least one newsreader, the one I use on my iPad. It picks up the closing bracket as part of the URL and tells me that the link is invalid. I asked nestork about that and that's when he said he uses IE8 and that he thought we all could see his images directly in his posts.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Got it.

Reply to
Vic Smith

Yes, up until now, I thought everyone could see the images on whatever software they were using. I'm surprised to find out that they don't.

But, Derby Dad has a valid point. Posting the images right in the post will slow down everyone's computer as each image has to load. By just showing the link to the image, everyone who wants to see that image can, but it won't slow down the computers of people who don't care to see the image.

So, I'll just post the image links from now on.

Reply to
nestork

I'm looking for a way to organize my sockets in my metal toolbox (which measures 20" long x 7" tall x 7" deep). I have about 100 sockets. Some are metric and some are SAE. Some have 1/4" drives, some have 3/8" drives and some have 1/2" drives. I've been looking at: plastic holders (such as the Lisle Model 40120) and "rail"-type organizers (such as Tekton Item #1885). Which type holds the sockets securely, releases the sockets easily, takes up less room in my toolbox, is more durable?

Reply to
gary