Social Security Number

Page 10 of 11
On Wed, 5 Dec 2012 05:12:37 -0800 (PST), " snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net"

I still contend, you don't need that for the initial application. At the time of a second interview you can ask for it and simply state, "we are interested in making you an offer contingent of a background check".
How many times recently have you seen where information was stolen and companies have to provide protection for a year after? Do you want to take on that liability just because you have an application for a couple hundred prospective employees that did not make the cut? IMO, that is irresponsible putting your company at risk for no good reason.

You must not live in a place where they have a lot of immigrants.
Around here, a job application with a SSN left blank would just be tossed in the trash.
On Wed, 05 Dec 2012 11:44:32 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

eastern Europe, Korea, the middle east, Africa, Central America, South America,Western Europe, Great Britain, the south Pacific and even the USA,
The SSN (SIN here in Canada) is not required untill the offer of employment is made and accepted. The number is then mandatory -
On Wed, 05 Dec 2012 20:28:30 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

You may not have all the government red tape an employer has here.
Most employers would look at a blank SSN as a person trying to hide something and with the typical stack of applications they will get for any job, why even go any farther. Chuck it and look at the next one.

Why don't you stop claiming that you are speaking for "most employers" You are not
On Thu, 6 Dec 2012 10:32:51 -0600, " Attila Iskander"

...and you are? You are really *FUNNY*. What a moron.

But I never made or implied it like you have done repeatedly

And you are just sad and stupid and pathetic and. Well why go on ? You're not even smart enough to avoid writing "beck pedaling" while doing a spell flame on an innocuous typo
That's how much a moron you are.
On Thu, 6 Dec 2012 18:54:50 -0600, " Attila Iskander"

Good Lord, you're stupid. This discussion never revolved around a vote. The *FACT* is that employers *DO* ask for this information before offering a job. Not supplying the information has a big potential downside (you aren't considered for the job). Supplying information to a hiring corporation, that you've already given to every Tom, Dick, and Harry, has little downside.
My bet is that your neuron still won't get it.

You really are a stupid shit.
On Thu, 06 Dec 2012 11:26:00 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

yourself to legal problems that would exist if the information was leaked - even by someone else - and you were the one found with it in an unsecured for - and not NEEDED.
On Dec 6, 1:00pm, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Yeah, that's right. The same info that your bank has, your broker, your home insurance agent, your auto insurance agent, your apt manager, your mortgage company, every credit card you've ever applied for, every hospital and doctor you've visited.... why it's just so totally unacceptable for a prospective employer to ask for it, that it's worth not getting the job. Good thinking. And why stop there. Why should they have your home address either? That's of no relevance either, right, yet could be used for identity theft. Or how about your phone and email address? Why my God! They could send you spam..... I guess the new procedure should be to go in an refuse to even give a name. What the hell difference does it make if your name is John Doe or Zachary Smith?
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote in

Most employers don't ask for the SSN on a job application.
That's why the ones that do are viewed with suspicion.
On Thu, 6 Dec 2012 22:55:42 +0000 (UTC), Doug Miller

As I said, every one I applied to last year, did. Many I never got to the application phase because it wasn't a match, for whatever reason, but every one wanted the SSN on the application.
On Thu, 06 Dec 2012 11:26:00 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Yes, they are trying to hide something and should be commended for it. That information is not needed up front.

Your worthless opinion.

You beat me to it.
On Wed, 05 Dec 2012 11:44:32 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Take a walk out in my shop and you won't ask silly questions. Every one has provided proper documentation at the time of hire.
Pick a day, pick a shift, pick a language. We have them all. Our application does not have a place for the SS number.

We type in the library card # and last name. What kind of library do yopu have?

.

This was just for the application, not in the pre-hire phase. My guess is that they use that to run background checks.
On 12/4/2012 8:27 PM, Metspitzer wrote:

It is. I went through the same thing with a co-op we belonged to mainly to get a group health insurance rate. The decided to use the SSN as the primary ID in their database. I protested many times and gave them supporting information. They moved to a "member number" as the primary field just before we left them.

George wrote:

Information) system to check all our new employees before they start work.
The CORI system asks for the LAST four digits of the person's SSN.
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)