Social Security Number

It is *exactly* a business transaction. One person has a product to sell and another has money to buy. Just like a retail transaction, there are agents in the middle who operate with a set of rules that they usually have no power to change. If you don't follow the rules, you lose.

Complete nonsense.

Just because YOU never had that experience does NOT mean it's not true or "complete nonsense". All you are demonstrating with such comments, is that you have spent your life working at the low end of the food chain.
I had one job offer that went. "We have heard good things about you We would like to hire you to work X hours a week at $YY.00 (as per union Contract) per hour. All you need to do is come fully prepared to do A,B.C. those X hours." We will provide all administrative support. nterested ?"
Did that for 10 years on the side of my regular consulting job I could have done nothing else but just those X hours a week, and lived very comfortably of that income.
On Thu, 6 Dec 2012 18:01:31 -0600, " Attila Iskander"

You don't read any better than you write, moron.

You don't think any better than you read.

What experience are you talking about? Finding every employee at the big box mart irresponsible? You're right that hasn't been my experience and what makes it nonsense is that it just isn't true.

I'm a degreed EE and had a 17 year career in engineering and marketing at Intel. So, you're wrong again, fool

That's nice. But it has nothing to do with anything I posted, anything being discussed here, and I couldn't care less.....
poster ?
If so, then I have no need to contimue If not, they you need to brush up on your reading skills to identify (at the top of the post) who is being addressed

# That's nice. But it has nothing to do with anything I # posted, anything being discussed here, and I couldn't # care less.....
See above And come back to us when you've cleared that up.

No, I just misread the post. See, when I'm wrong, I'll admit it. Actually, k and I don't get along all that well. But we do agree on one thing. And that is that you're a nonsensical jerk. I don't see anyone else here that has much use for you either.
On 12/7/2012 8:38 AM, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

But you and "kwr" often seem like the same person. You both like the silly schoolyard name calling. The only difference is the degree. "kwr" likes to look even sillier with every pronouncement being "wrong", "you are stupid" etc to let everyone know they are the self imagined smartest person in the world.
As far as the "islander" his comments in this thread are extremely accurate. Typically entry level and lower level job applicants fill out applications. Higher level job positions no so much.

That simply shows how stupid you are.

I'm only telling you what everyone else already knows. Perhaps you too will get the clue some day.

Clearly wrong.

# No, I just misread the post. See, when I'm wrong, I'll admit # it. Actually, k and I don't get along all that well. But # we do agree on one thing. And that is that you're a nonsensical # jerk. I don't see anyone else here that has much use for you # either.
LOL AS IF you speak for others As to your opinion Keep signing your posts with "......fool."
On Fri, 7 Dec 2012 06:55:50 -0600, " Attila Iskander"

More proof of your incredible cluelessness.

Clueless.
"Cleared that up"? That your sorry life is of no consequence to anyone else here? You really _are_ clueless.

+1 Been a long time since I filled out an "application," and I can't remember if they wanted SSN. In the "resume" world SSN isn't on the resume, and isn't needed until you're on the payroll. But my experience with that is a dozen years old, and non-governmental, "non-security-check." The way I see it the SSN isn't exactly "top-secret" anymore, so if I was filling an application that had it, I would provide it. Any Joe Shmoe car salesman asks for it to do a credit check. Do we trust car salesmen? HR departments vary widely too. When I took a job running heavy presses and shears at IH in 1968 I was called to HR after a couple weeks on the job. Stupidest thing I ever saw. On the application I had put 1 semester (6 months) of HS at CVS in Chicago. Honestly saying I was a high school dropout. I also gave them a GED from the Navy, and a DD-214 showing honorable discharge, making that meaningless But these jokers called me off the shop floor because they had found no record of me being a CVS dropout. I told them my name was different then, and to check under that name, and never heard from them again. Really lame.
On 12/6/2012 10:39 PM, Vic Smith wrote:

It still is. I mentioned that my niece is the HR manager in a 800+ employee business. Typical hourly positions involve someone filling out an application (most are done online on their portal). Other positions involve someone from her staff calling someone to come in for a 1st interview to meet whomever they will be reporting to. If there is interest they make an offer and handle counter offers. If they hire that person the necessary info to put them in the payroll system is collected when they arrive on their first day.

Metspitzer wrote:

May be, but it's the law.
"U.S. law requires companies to employ only individuals who may legally work in the United States - either U.S. citizens, or foreign citizens who have the necessary authorization ... E-Verify is an Internet-based system that allows businesses to determine the eligibility of their employees to work in the United States."
In other words, U.S. law says that only certain people can legally work in the U.S. and the approved way to ascertain that is to check the proffered SSN with the government.

OK, but if you have 1000 applicants and one finalist to make an offer, you only need that one number, not all the others that will be sitting in a file drawer for a long time.

Nobody is going to get to the application phase for 1000 prospective employees to fill one job. You would not even look at that many resumes. Usually they seldom even consider more than a few, enough to call them back.
On Wed, 05 Dec 2012 02:21:14 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

My point is though, you don't need the SS# on the application. Does not matter if it is 2, 10, 100 or 10,000. Until you have a viable candidate for the job, you have no need for the SS.

I hope you recogize the need to run background checks to avoid hiring someone who is a fugitive? Or hiring a guy convicted of embezlement to be your bookkeeper? Or a night janitor who is a burglar?
Now, would you rather find that out before making the job offer, when you can just politely tell them that you filled the position internally. Or would you prefer to wait until you tell them they have the job, then ask for the SS#, then do the check, then have to tell them the specific reason why they are now not getting the job? How about the candidate turns out to be an axe murderer or a member of the Bloods convicted of a drive-by? You want to make that call?
On Wed, 5 Dec 2012 05:12:37 -0800 (PST), " snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net"

Couldn't you "hire subject to" in the offer letter??

Sure, it is done all the time.