Social Security Number

Page 8 of 11
On 12/6/2012 5:55 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Times change, an employer would be quite clueless to do things the way they used to.

http://www.bbb.org/blog/2011/09/should-i-put-my-social-security-number-on-a-job-application /
http://humanresources.about.com/b/2012/11/12/you-want-my-social-security-number.htm

*EVERY* one I filled out last year required my SSN, including ones online before the interview.

Perhaps you don't think they have a need but they do. You're looking, they're hiring. Ask yourself, "do I want to piss of the HR droid?".

Good luck with that anymore.
<redundant bullshit snipped>

LOL Are we surprised that you had to fill out a whole slew of job applications ? NOT !
But good luck finding something Even you should be able to find some kind of work

If that's what it takes to piss off a HR droid It's a pretty low-level droid..

Well not everyone is busy filling fields on the terminals at Walmart like you.
On Thu, 6 Dec 2012 14:30:02 -0600, " Attila Iskander"

You really are a clueless shit.

Terminally stupid, clueless shit.

There aren't another kind, moron.

It's OK. Loser lefties always look down their nose at those who work for a living.
BTW, I'm an EE. I was out of work for three months *last* year. I probably filled out a dozen job applications and all required full personal information. One, a state university job required it online before any interview at all.

Mmm.. Let's see.. Your words " *EVERY* one I filled out last year required my SSN..."
Apparently I'm less "clueless than you are..

I'll take that as an admission that you've just been bitch-slapped

I haven't had to deal with one of those since... um 1971. When I applied for a summer job with IBM just before I started Engineering School.

On Thu, 6 Dec 2012 17:54:26 -0600, " Attila Iskander"

More than two, less that two hundred. Every one.

Because I changed jobs last year. You really are clueless. Are you really Bob F?

Now it all makes sense! You're a bitch. ...in heat, apparently.

Admission: You're a clueless bitch.

No comment, I see.
BTW, dumbass, I retired from IBM six years ago.
On 6 Dec 2012 18:00:12 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@at.biz wrote:

I've done hiring in my day and NEVER asked for the SSN/SIN before offering the job.
On 12/6/2012 9:59 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I think it might be the norm for the sort of job that the "expert on everything" might be applying for.

Applications for employment sounds like something mcdonalds would do. I don't think I ever filled out a job application, unless it was something the post office related to taking vigorous testing. Also never had the opportunity to negotiate terms, but I have turned down jobs. I liked it when all job adds included pay scale, back in the day ! My resume does include my social security number, of course I don't need it anymore, I hope !!
Greg

An there you have another data point. A guy who not only doesn't object to putting his SS# on an employment application, he actually has it on his resume. I'm not sure that's such a good idea, because presumably it results in wider circulation of the #.

I'm sure they do. At least most employers large enough to have an HR department use employment applications. A lot of information is needed during the hiring process and the application is the way to collect it all at once. Asking for it piece at a time is nuts.

Assuming you've worked, it's hard to believe that you've never filled out a job application. How did they collect all of your personal information needed during the hiring process?
The salary has always been part of the employment negotiations, often way ahead of any offer. It's usually discussed in broad terms (minimums, expected ranges, etc.) at the first contact. As far as posted pay scales, I've never had a job where this information was public knowledge. I've never had any idea what my cow-orkers made, nor they, mine.
I certainly wouldn't post my SSN on a resume. I don't even include my address or any identifying information more than my name and an email address. I guess my cell phone number is on there too.
On 12/6/2012 11:35 PM, gregz wrote:

Fascinating that the "expert on everything " has only experienced the hiring process for low level hires. It is unusual for anyone beyond that level to be required to fill out an application.

Wrong.
On 12/5/2012 10:28 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Exactly, too much potential for litigation. My niece is the HR manager for a ~ 800 employee company and one of her staff spends a good portion of her time keeping up with various regulatory and compliance stuff involved in running the business.

I've got two of them One has been with us 15 years, the other about 5. They don't have to wear their ankle bracelets any more either.

G' ahead and be a pussy and give them what they want, then. I'll continue to defend my rights to freedom and privacy.

Let me guess; you're unemployed.

A big box or megacorp definitely would because they are looking for bodies to meld into their system at the cheapest price. A smart small business might appreciate that the person has a brain.

So then you have to ask yourself. How lucky to you feel today? Is it worth having the prospective employer throw the application in the trash because you didn't supply the SS#? With unemployment at 8% I know what my answer would be. But on the other hand when you can collect unemployment for 2 years, food stamps, free healthcare, I guess that changes the equation. In fact, maybe leaving it off is a good idea. One way to go on those job interviews and make sure you don't get the job.
On 12/6/2012 9:22 AM, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

Like all things in life it isn't a black and white scenario that you rely on.
After all this is nothing but a business transaction. You are offering something for sale and someone may want to buy it. Terms and conditions are a moving target.
If say it is a position at the big box mart chances are you are going nowhere if you don't absolutely comply with whatever procedures are in place. But say it is a skilled or professional position. Then you have bargaining room. The employer makes an offer and you make a counter offer. Everytime I accepted a position there was a period of negotiation with offers and counter offers leading into it. If we agreed the usual deal on the first day was a request to "stop by HR and give them information so they can enter you into the payroll system".