Social Security Number

Page 1 of 11
I was talking on the phone with my cousin today. She has worked as a substitute teacher in several schools. She is between jobs. One of the things she mentioned was that they require her to furnish her SSN on job applications. Since the wrong person could do some serious damage with your SSN, I really think it is a bad idea to have to furnish them for a job application.
I went online tonight to put a hold on a book at the library. The library is using the first 4 numbers of my SSN in their "primary identification" field.
That seems like a violation of security to me.
On 12/4/2012 5:27 PM, Metspitzer wrote:

There are lots of privacy issues. Some have argued that federal law prohibits using the SSN for other purposes. But it's a very convenient unique identifier that separates you from that other John Smith. Do you really want his arrest record coming up when they check you out?
On 12/4/2012 8:45 PM, mike wrote:

And they typically ask for your national ID card (used to be a drivers license but became a defacto national ID card). There is no prohibition on that.

How is a prospective employer supposed to do any kind of background checks without even a SS #? It's typically asked for when applying for a loan, credit card, apartment rental, hospital visit, etc. So, I don't see the issue as being unique or unreasonable in regard to employment.

It seems kind of odd and dumb to me too. But I don't think anyone is gonna get far with 4 digits..

How is a prospective employer supposed to do any kind of background checks without even a SS #? It's typically asked for when applying for a loan, credit card, apartment rental, hospital visit, etc. So, I don't see the issue as being unique or unreasonable in regard to employment.
Financial institutes, leasing agencies, medical facilities, etc. all require financial payment for services and/or goods. They require the need to check credit history to ensure they deal with a financially responsible person so they can get paid. An employer does not and simply pays the employee to do a job. If anything, the applicant should check the history of the employer to ensure they've never had problems with payroll. There is no need for an employer to seek SSN....period.

are hired he needs it for with-holding taxes etc. A hotel, car rental, library, credit card company, bank, or anyone NOT directly involved in my "social security" does NOT get my number - and is told in no uncertain terms that asking for it is treading on thin ice.

Agreed. AFTER the hire, it is needed. Prior to, I don't believe it is.
To answer Owen, no, I am not sure bout that. I simply don't find a reason to request it until an applicant becomes an employee.
As for bad credit indicating sloppy people, I also disagree. Many people with poor credit history are responsible, just poor money management. I know several people with this type of history and I can assure you, they aren't sloppy. IMO, it's similar to the insurance agencies asking the SSN to determine rates....bullshit!

I recently requested an auto insurance quote. When he asked for my SS number I asked him why he needed that.
His answer: "You don't have to give me your SS number if you don't want to."
I didn't and still got the quote.
DerbyDad03 used improper usenet message composition style by unnecessarily full-quoting:

He was asking for your SSN because he wanted to run a credit check on you.
Insurance companies correlate your credit score with your level of trustworthiness and personal responsibility. Apparently, there are studies that show a good credit score is correlated with a lower car accident rate - the theory being that if you are take enough care to keep your finances in control and have a good credit score, you probably also excercise that level of control (judgement, etc) in your driving.

button.
still don'tthink it's right to disqualify simply for a bad credit report. Some people make mistakes and are making amends to better their life. Obtaining a good/better job could be part of doing so. Being judged on that credit could hinder the improvement procedure.

Many would disagree with you. Bad credit shows sloppiness, at least. I wouldn't hire anyone with crappy credit for a position where any trust was needed. BTW, you don't think a SSN is needed for tax reasons? <boggle>
snipped-for-privacy@at.biz wrote in

Not at the time a person is *applying* for a job, no, it's not needed for tax reasons.
On Wed, 5 Dec 2012 22:25:49 +0000 (UTC), Doug Miller

with-holding is tied to the SIN. That is ALL it is legally used for

And you need that to *apply* for a job? Wow. Here, it's not needed (for tax purposes, at least) until the employee is actually hired.

I think clare did not read with care
It's not needed in Canada until AFTER a job is offered and accepted. Then you need it for the very same reasons as in the US.
On Wed, 5 Dec 2012 20:04:38 -0600, " Attila Iskander"

needed to APPLY - it IS needed for tax is what I THOUGHT I said.
Obviously I didn't make myself clear.
On Thu, 6 Dec 2012 01:53:51 +0000 (UTC), Doug Miller

for tax reasons I THOUGHT it was obvious what I was responding too but obviously it was not - and I can see how it could be read wrong.
On Wed, 5 Dec 2012 22:25:49 +0000 (UTC), Doug Miller

checks for employment. Why would you want to work for a company that you can't trust with your SSN? Considering the number of people who have your SSN, isn't this a little silly?

A lot of information is needed to complete the employment process including personal and professional references. I don't and won't supply those unless and until there is a determination of a skill set and other match for the position.
It's unreasonable for an employer to expect that data at the get go.
The name of the game is protecting your information. I have had experience where someone else used my data obtained from a contract recruiter to pose as me including signing my name and professional license number to federal documents.

Fair enough but note that you *will* be excluded from consideration by many employers. I refused to supply this information, once, before even a phone interview. That was the last I heard from the company.

It doesn't matter what *you* think is reasonable.

and don't piss off prospective employers for no reason.