Soap Scum Removal ????

Page 2 of 2

snipped-for-privacy@panix.com (David Combs) wrote:

-snip-
Usually concentrated chlorine. A base, not an acid.
Jim

Base: In other words a 'strong' alkali?
'Javex' (Javel?) and some other domestic cleaners may be a 5% solution of sodium hypochlorite; IIRC?

Also BTW. Find it amusing when someone will say, for example, 'The acid leaked out of the battery in my flashlight and the inside is all rusted" etc . Then you take the thing apart and quite clearly there is a leaking and corroded ALKALINE cell!

pool acid is hydrochloric acid: HCl pool shock is sodium hydroxide: NaOH
Brian wrote:

knock-offs). I've had good success with that on soap scum.It's cheap enough to try, even if it ends up not doing much.

Ditto on the EDFRED for this purpose - there are uses reviews posted.
How to clean shower door? Look at the science of soap scum and hard water stains. Think back to high school chemistry.
1.There is a mineral buildup that needs a mild acid to neutralize. Not pool acid, please! Phosphoric acid is relatively very mild, and used in many cola beverages in small amounts. It also does not have a crappy smell, which is a factor for a lot of us. If you have any rust issues they should be handled too. (I think Navel Jelly rust remover is jellied phosphoric acid.) 2. Also you have soap residue that needs a surfactant. The presence of phosphoric acid also probably helps against the soap. (Acid neutralizing the alkaline soap)
If you check a product's material safety data sheet (MSDS) you usually can see what is in the product if the company is transparent about it. The product the poster mentioned has their MSDS here http://edfredcorp.com/Tech%20Info/Tech%20intro.html . It shows a healthy does of both 1. & 2., which is why the other poster here had good results. If you can find a product that has similar ingredients to this, science (yippee!) will do the job for you.
I have never had much luck with vinegar, lemon juice or many of the new "green" cleaners.I am too impatient and want to get the job done and over with in as little time as possible.

Kaboom, Dow's Scrubbing Bubbles, and Limeaway all work for me, depending on the time I have available. I soak the showerhead while wiping down the two clear glass doors with Kaboom. Usually takes 10-15 minutes work. If I have a little more time, I use Dow Scrubbing Bubbles because it is my all-purpose cleaner. Limeaway is the Big Bertha. I only bring that out on REALLY bad build-ups.
Kaboom https://www.officialtvwebsite.com/kaboomscrubfree/index.asp?didd4&refcode=kaboom&OVRAW=kaboom&OVKEY=kaboom.com&OVMTC vanced&OVADID8208473512&OVKWID&5773304012 (When the above link breaks, click on the tinyurl below http://tinyurl.com/krf6an )
Dow Scrubbing Bubbles http://www.scrubbingbubbles.com /
Limeaway (Amazon.com product link shortened) (When the above link breaks, click on the tinyurl below http://tinyurl.com/nn96tb )
The Ranger
On Sat, 25 Jul 2009 07:17:00 -0700, "The Ranger" <cuhulain _

All of these are good. I use the Dow product mentioned and allow the foam to work for a few hours. Then scrub the surface with a brush dipped in household ammonia after the soaking period, and rinse with cold water. Use lots of ventilation. I can clean the shower/tub in less than 1 minute, all while holding my breath. It helps to use a daily shower spray. Use of acids is not recommended as it can damage metal parts.
[snip]

Thanks, Phish, for the step-saver re: scrubbing foam and ammonia. I'll have to give it a try using my breather (until I'm able to minimize my wasted movements.) ;) I've got all the necessary chemicals.
I've found the daily shower spray (also by Dow) is only a delayer not an actual cure. I get the same length of delay from simply squeegying the water from the walls and glass. <shrug> But, as proven by Phish's experiences, YMMV.
The Ranger
Phisherman wrote:

Scrubbing Bubbles is a brand name for several products. The one I know for soap scum uses an unspecified acid. Why add ammonia?
Why hold your breath? I'd be more afraid of spattering ammonia in my eyes. Strong vapors can be irritating but exposure isn't known to be harmful in the long run. If you don't like the vapors, you can dilute it. Straight from the bottle it has a lot of dissolved NH3 gas. Diluted, the ammonia is mostly NH4+, which stays in the water.
Some recommendations for treating soap scum come from cleaning kitchen sinks or toilets. Unless one washes his hands in the kitchen and feet in the toilet, I don't know why soap scum would appear in either place.
Simple soap scum is insoluble soap, which has a waxy feel and is hard to see on an opaque surface. It's pretty easy to remove. Baking soda on a wash cloth works fine for me.
If I neglect it, it yellows and can get rough like sandpaper. I think it happens when mineral deposits accumulate on the soap scum. I've tried Tilex ( which is hard on the skin and the vapors are harsh ), another spray soap-scum remover, CLR (mineral-deposit remover), vinegar, Bon Ami, and ammonia. Baking soda works best for me.
Sometimes a wash cloth will remove a yellow buildup easily. Sometimes a plastic brush makes a big difference. Sometimes if I can't remove a stain in a minute with a wash cloth, the baking soda will dissolve it if I walk away for a few minutes.
Brillo pad.
Thomas.

Brilliant.
And when you've scratched the glass, you'll have provided an abraded surface for more minerals and scum to adhere to. :)

Dow Scrubbing Bubbles is a good choice. Also squeegee the doors after every shower as recommended by another poster. Three swipes on each door should do it, about 30 seconds to do so.
About every 2-3 months I also use Rain-X. The water just rolls off the glass.